I would not recommend any new drivers seeking employment at Transport America

Discussion in 'Transport America' started by TAV, Apr 21, 2009.

1. TAV

TAV Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Fleet Manager (Former Employee)
    Eagan, MN

I worked at Transport Corporation of America full-time for less than a year
    Pros – As an office worker, 40 hours do exist with this logistical company. They pay higher than some bigger companies. They also have a staff for all hours.
    Cons – The company thinks it is bigger than it actually is. The loads are short and it is unfortunate to tell have to tell new drivers their loads are short. It misinforms drivers about the miles they will receive. Most loads seem to be short for drivers. I would recommend this for a driver though because they can refuse any load and it is almost impossible to be fired as driver. The office politics are bad on the 2nd and 3rd shifts.
    Advice to Senior Management – Get rid of Upper Managment because the have let the prisoners run the asylum
    No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Transport-Corporation-of-America-Reviews-E3722.htm

blaque rose Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TAV

TAV Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2009
    OTR Driver (Current Employee)

I have been working at Transport Corporation of America
    Pros – It looked like they had good looking and safe looking equipment. The recruiter I talked to, was very pleasant and helpful on the phone The location for orientation was well located and very clean inside and out.
    Cons – The communication, I found out after arriving at orientation, was typical BS that usually comes from a recruiter to a potential company driver. Was told 4 or 5 people would be in class. there were 25. Was not told about certain aspects of the physical until after arriving at the clinic. For some unknown and totally assinine reasoning, the applicant is required to squat all the way down (like a babseball catcher) and " duck waddle" for 10 feet. This proves nothing. How a driver locates him/herself under the trailer for a PTI is completely up to said driver.
    When the location manager was approached to discuss this, there was no discussion! Very arrogant and self absorbed in his "power" over the applicants.
    To add salt to the wound, was told I had to pay for my way home, if it was not by bus

The morning "breakfast" at the motel, consisted of sugar, sugar and more sugar. This is really helpful for the physical the first morning especially the drug screen and blood work..
    Advice to Senior Management – Re-evaluate your physical requirements when it comes to "over and beyond" the DOT requirements for passing. Upon talking to no less than 18 other trucking companies, it was found that NONE of them forced the applicant to pass such a moronic test. At the very least, have the attitude to talk things out and fully explain the whys and whynots of dicisions.
    No, I would not recommend this company to a friend

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Transport-Corporation-of-America-Reviews-E3722.htm

blaque rose Thanks this.
  4. TAV

TAV Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Driver (Current Employee)
    Eagan, MN

I have been working at Transport Corporation of America
    Pros – The middle management structure is still one of the best in the industry. Good working relations can be built up and maintained.
    Cons – Unfortunately upper management's attitude to the drivers and middle management is condecending and shows a real lack of respect. Drivers especialy are treated as if they have little sense and can be fooled intobelieving anything. Since the new CEO and upper management came to transport america even middle management fear for thier jobs. This in turn passes on to the drivers and becomes a culture of lies and deceit.
    Advice to Senior Management
    – Please keep us as Transport America and stop trying to turn us into a clone of lesser companies like shnieder and swift ect.
    No, I would not recommend this company to a friend

lovetodrive365 and blaque rose Thank this.
  5. TAV

TAV Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Submitted: Wed, July 10, 2013 Updated: Wed, July 10, 2013

Reported By: Richie — Centerville Illinois
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Transport America
    1751 Yankee doodle Eagan, Minnesota USA
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[h=1]Transport America Tcam I NEVER MADE OVER $400 in the seven months i work for then, my lowest was net 0000. i was accuse of a accident where i was not found guilty but by t-cam an then put on my dat report. never receive a safety bonus or a raise in my seven months i have lost my car, home, after joining t-cam. Eagan Minnesota

T-cam lied to me about everything , i was told they paid mile for mile. They give great mile an they treat there works like people not a number . Not only was i a number but treated like one. Poor pay sometime bring home zero home after running all week but a good day $400. Sometime going hungry all week , after joing t-cam i lost my apartment ,my car, an everything i gain after years of working other trucking companies . This company needs to be truely investigated for corruption an foul play along with false advertisement.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Trans...nths-i-work-for-thenmy-lowe-1066028#comment_1

[/h]

blaque rose Thanks this.
  6. TAV

TAV Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Submitted: Tue, July 20, 2010 Updated: Wed, February 08, 2012

Reported By: x-trucker — columbia Tennessee United States of America
    Transport America dont make this mistake eagan, Minnesota

worked for this company four years, first two was ok, then the downhill slide started, cut pay from .45 mi down too .43 then .41 impossible fuel bonus, wont pay detention time wont pay layovers, all this is in their recruting info that they do pay. constant fight with dispatchers to get any home time, 1 or2 days after 3 weeks out, trucks turned down to 60 mph and expect drivers to drive 9-11 hrs straight to deliver airfreight, then expect you to sleep all day on break without any a/c because you have to keep idle time down, and tell you your job depends on it, they tell you to buy a fan and window screens at your expense to save them money. wont allow drivers to use toll roads route you on two lane roads and expect you to make the same times as you would on an interstate highway. if you ever think about driving for this bunch of morons forget it. company really went downhill when they hired their new president from schneider and he brought a bunch of orange idiots with him. started treating drivers like they were mongrel dogs. iv'e been drivivg for over 30 years and this is one of the worst i ever worked for, gave up trucking after this company dont work here under any circumstances.
    This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/20/2010 06:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Trans...dont-make-this-mistake-eagan-Minnesota-625320.

Updates & Rebuttals

Unfortunately, I did see evidence of this sort of thing going on at TA, and more. Like another who responded, I'm not at liberty to discuss much, since I too have pending litigation that involves the employer.

I can say this, however...

Have your own outside health and occupational accident coverage. The insurance provided and carried by this motor carrier covers nothing even remotely work related, and filing a WC claim is a nightmare process (they simply won't pay without a court fight).

Carry a full tool set, and be prepared to have to repair your own rig while on the road, likely at your own expense, if you wish to avoid catastrophic failures (which will be repaired as cheaply as possible, maybe).

Use extreme caution to insure you are not injured or made ill by working for TA. If you are, you will be terminated. You will not be able to return to work for them once healed.

My lawyer says that's all the warning I can give to drivers. Good luck, especially if you go to work for this company.
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Trans...dont-make-this-mistake-eagan-Minnesota-625320

#2 Consumer Comment
    herpes infested twats

AUTHOR: beenthere donethat - (United States of America)

SUBMITTED: Friday, February 03, 2012
    POSTED: Friday, February 03, 2012
    another great trucking company boofing their drivers
    hey transport america!!!!
    f*k you
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Trans...dont-make-this-mistake-eagan-Minnesota-625320

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds
    Totally agre

AUTHOR: Benn - (U.S.A.)

SUBMITTED: Sunday, July 25, 2010
    POSTED: Sunday, July 25, 2010
    Sorry to hear that you too saw what I saw. My last day of employment was in the mid-May 2010. I was only there for a few months earlier this year and will verify exactly what you described to a 't'.
    Dispatch does expect you to get from point A to point B on those two lane skinny roadways in the same time it took you to drive on the interstate at 65 mph. They also expect that you never break down, do a proper pretrip inspection and god fearing, that you get anything fixed.
    I numerous times made loads late due to needing repairs to the trailers. I even had the Fed-Ex operations manager come into the yard in Roseville, MN and witnessed the out-of-service (air leaks) on a trailer and say he wished that his drivers' in his own fleet inspected and cared about equipment as much as I did.
    There is numerous other issues I would describe here but due to a pending legal action for wrongful termination (filing an STAA claim with DOT), ADA request and harassment in the workplace....I will just say to those that are looking at working here....think twice. Read what this driver and I have posted here and in other posts.

7. Kevin horn

Kevin horn Medium Load Member

Jun 2, 2013
    #### that's no where close to my 5 year experience at TA!! I ALWAYS got home when I was suppose to!!! The pay was good no issue there!! I made 50k my first year there straight out of training!! My Last year there was close to 65k.. I liked all the terminals.. I was home every other weekend never stayed out longer than that other than the month I had to stay out with my trainer! I give TA 5 stars out of 5... Had really good Dispatchers..

8. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    My experience with Transport America was a three day period in July of 2011. I had not read this thread at that point. I had a nice chat with a recruiter. I do not know if he lied to me as I wasn't there long enough to know. I was provided with a rental car for the drive from Kansas City to Fort Wayne, Indiana. There was another driver also going. She picked up the car at the airport and then picked me up at the terminal. Off we drove. Nice motel which I believe is owned by TA. Breakfast was Orange Juice and Bagels. So, I failed the Physical with two high sugar levels. They provided a rental for my return. It took me 3 months to get my A1C levels down to where the company would allow me to return. I did. Past the physical with no problem. The gal that I had come with originally was not hired. She was going to team with her husband but something was wrong. I never found out what that was. In my second group of physicals there were 3 men who failed. They were in their late 70's and weighted 290 plus. Still they got a motel for a night and a free breakfast.

I go through their orientation. All orientations are doing the same things on computers. You are really just killing time until your drug test get back. Transport America cuts your hair for that. Off we go on the drivers test. GOAL I am sorry but Get Out And Look is not nearly as clever as people who say it think it is. You do the backing in a gravel parking lot. The gal who runs the Fort Wayne classes is nice enough, but she has something about the grass there that she is almost nuts about. She got upset that I didn't get out and look. I didn't see any reason to. I put the trailer where I was suppose to put it. Had any vehicle pulled in behind me it would have had to have pulled by me or someone would have had to have put it there just for me to hit. So because I did not get out and look, I was assigned a "trainer." At first we got along okay. By day two, he had call safety and told them to get me my own truck. I had 5 years experience at that point. I can handle a 60 mile per hour truck. And then day three. We had a load of roofing tar to go to Mennards. He wanted to weigh the thing at the shipper. Okay. I pulled onto the Scale. He told me to watch him for instructions. He got onto the passenger side so I was looking in the right hand mirror. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. On the 5th pull backward, I made contact with the curb on the drivers side. The Cascadia has a vinyl strip below the bottom step. I put a two inch scratch in it. The scratch would buff out with a little bit of elbow grease. My "trainer" went nuts. He got on the phone and called safety tell them I had "Fd" up his truck. I thought he was going to have a melt down. I told him that I would not have even reported such a small thing. And a curb is road hazard anyway. Safety had him drop me at the next rental card place. I had to pay for my home. And the spot I was dropped off only rented locally. It took me seven hours to find a place that would rent to me. I spent $100 on a cab to drive me around so I could go by the bank before I got a rental. The rental was nice enough. Until the front tire blew. I put on the spare and continued the drive. Got a speeding ticket for going 1 mile above 55 in Indianapolis. Turns out the Chief of Police had just made a speech where he compared speeding with murder. Both being crimes. Anyway, that was my three days with Transport America of Eagan, Minn. I thought I would never think about that time again. I have gone out of my way to point out that as driver in command of the truck that rubbing against a curb was MY fault, even though I was following directions of a supervisor on the ground. The trainer going off, okay, it was his assigned truck and it was the first scratch ever put on it. I did it not him. Okay, I understand. Even though the guy was a chain smoking, racist, who told really sick anti black anti female jokes.

But now, a few years later, I am wanting to go to work for a company here. I do not get the job. Why? MY GO D DA MN DAC report. Transport America reports this as "struck a stationary object."

So add me to the ranks of Transport America haters. Well, not hate, I am too nice to hate. But I am not a friend of theirs and do not plan on inviting any of them to my next birthday party and I think we will be having a pony there.

Skydivedavec, TAV and blaque rose Thank this.
  9. Skydivedavec

Skydivedavec Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic
    I'm sorry this happened to you, but may I come to your party? I love ponies! :biggrin_25517:

Wooly Rhino Thanks this.
  10. TAV

TAV Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2009

I said it..... and there you have it folks!!! I hope people are reading this because this is how they operate!!!!
    Thanks for sharing your experience!!!

Three days and on the third day, they left him stranded!!!

This goes to show that people should start asking for a round trip ticket "JUST IN CASE"! Just in case this company decides that you are no longer a fit for them. Geez, in three days, this gentleman was put out of work, left stranded and blackballed!!!

If you get a physical and don't pass, or anything that this company may decided that would cause them to believe that you are know longer a fit for them, they have demonstrated that it's no problem to leave you stranded, bad mouth your career to a point that would cause hardship in seeking employment elsewhere!

REMEMBER, BECAUSE YOU KNOW LONGER WORK FOR THEM, THEY WILL MAKE SURE YOU WILL NEVER WORK FOR ANYONE ELSE EVER AGAIN AFTER THEY ARE THROUGH BLACKBALLING YOU!!!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    blaque rose Thanks this.
  11. lovetodrive365

lovetodrive365 Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Well, that makes me feel much better that they didn't want to hire me. I couldn't stand on my left foot for 30 seconds,... thank the Lord! Sounds like I was blessed after all.

TAV Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.