ICC regulation

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by m16ty, Sep 9, 2016.

1. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il

Truth!!

Before I Go Strangle to death every Broker,Shipper and Fellow Driver that Puts "Friction" In this industry...I Think i'll go Listen to "Like I've never been gone " Robert Plant.

To Those who Destroyed this Industry with selfishness (You know who you are) GO **** Yourselves!

thejackal Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    Here's another one...when I was 5 my dad took me on a trip in the truck. 1963...no air conditioning, just two windows and 65 mph....steering wheel as big as the steer tire. The sleeper was a coffin and only a jump seat for riders. We cruised down hwy 51.....to New Orleans and stayed with relatives.

Eventually we moved to the Big Easy....during early 70s I drove an International 22 ft straight truck during summer breakso ..I worked as a driver loader...loading paper in & Out of big trucks. Hot and Nasty job.

I walked away in 1980 from trucking and started a family until years later I got tired of the corporate life and choose to go OTR....

This was not my dad's or my grand dad's Truck.....it's mine and it's a killer machine.. my home was the next exit.

I wish I was back in 1963....where truckers were really decent people and easy going and life was much simpler.

I retired, but it's still in my blood, going back through three generations of American Truckers.

Have a story you want to share?

4. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Obviously rates weren't competitive because they plummeted after deregulation in 1980 (and carriers still had to publish their rates until 1995).

Before deregulation, a new authority had to prove the "convenience and necessity" of their new service -- which created plenty of opportunity for corruption (organized crime, often in the guise of the teamsters, would bribe officials into denying applications for would-be competitors).

Take Pan Am's fight to keep TWA out of international travel -- it helped push Howard Hughes over the edge towards insanity (imagine your luck appealing if you lacked a billionaire's resources).

And Hughes Aircraft was arguably the most innovative aircraft company, yet regulation meant TWA could not purchase aircraft from Hughes which, in turn, meant Hughes could not build innovative passenger aircraft because only TWA's competition could use it! That would be like saying Google couldn't use its own code -- it would have to sell its code to competitors and buy code elsewhere.

Some of these silly regulations still linger -- McLane is not allowed to haul alcohol in Texas because parent Berkshire Hathaway owns 2% of Wal-Mart, which happens to sell some alcohol (under Texas law, you can be only be 1: manufacturer of alcoholic products, distributor, or retailer -- all 3 "tiers" must be separate)

brian991219 and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yes you are right, but I got out in '81 when things were starting to change for the worse so I didn't know the rates were still published into the 90's. I remember that some customers would bargain for better rates and there was some latitude to get the work but overall it was a different time.

6. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Yeah, my grandpa used to wear slacks and a tie running Sacramento to L.A. for a now-defunct teamsters LTL. He didn't touch the freight, he didn't even fuel the truck. If there was a mechanical problem, he sat and ate lunch on the clock waiting for a mechanic to come fix whatever it was.

He thought owner operators were ruining the industry after deregulation with their grease-stained hands and decrepit trucks running low rates. But customers gained the power of choice and it turned out they cared more about their bottom lines than drivers in starched shirts.

7. TankerYankr

TankerYankr Medium Load Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Central US

The cab cards (registration card) was called your bingo card, because of all the little stickers that you had to attach to them in the correct little square.

Then you also had your waffle plate that was like a license plate on the outside of the truck. It had little rectangles from the plate being stamped out when manufactured, you then had different state stickers that were like month and year stickers on todays plates. They went on the waffle plate.

Plus some states required you to have a full size regular plate, usually your base state then, NV, OR, and I forget which others.

You ended with crap all over the front of the truck.

A lot of states had minimum fuel purchase requirements when passing through so the bears and coops would check your fuel receipts to make sure that you bought enough fuel in their state.

brian991219 and double yellow Thank this.
  8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    You know that's the biggest advantage of the modern system! Buy fuel where the price is low instead of having to put 20 gallons here and there.

9. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Did y'all see any of them turbine wearing drivers around then?

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  10. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.