Ice Road Trucker, "The Montana Legend" killed in plane crash

Discussion in 'Other News' started by chico9696, Aug 29, 2016.

1. chico9696

chico9696 Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2009
    USA
    http://www.kpax.com/story/32862437/ice-road-trucker-the-montana-legend-killed-in-plane-crash

Posted: Aug 29, 2016 9:45 AM CDT Updated: Aug 29, 2016 9:55 AM CDT
    Ice Road Trucker, "The Montana Legend" killed in plane crash
    By Dennis Bragg

MISSOULA -

Family, friends and fans are mourning the loss of reality TV star Darrell Ward Monday morning after the "Ice Road Trucker" was killed in a plane crash.

The Deer Lodge trucker was returning to Western Montana after a weekend promotional appearance at the Great American Trucking Show in Dallas when the small plane he was flying in crashed, taking his life and also killing his co-pilot.

The 52-year old's death was confirmed in a statement posted on his Facebook page late Sunday evening.

Ward had risen to stardom over the past several seasons of the History Channel reality show, becoming a fan favorite for his direct, and often confrontational style. Tagged as "The Montana Legend" on the show, Ward's personal slogan was "any road, any load!" Ward appeared in the tenth season of the show this summer and had just learned he was being invited back for next season a few days ago.

In a sad twist of irony, Ward had been planning to film a pilot for a new show about the effort of recovering backcountry plane crashes after returning to Montana.

Ward was not only well known in the trucking industry, but here in Western Montana. He frequently took jobs hauling heavy equipment to help wildland firefighters. Ward had just been helping with equipment at the Copper King Fire near Thompson Falls earlier this month.

Ward was also known for giving back to the community, most recently organizing a food drive for flood victims in Louisiana, and planning an appearance as Grand Marshal at a parade in Nova Scotia for Special Olympics.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the cause of the crash.

Moon_beam, rachi and Dominick253 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dominick253

Dominick253 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2015
    My condolences to the family. So sad.

thejackal, DrummingTrucker and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Same here, my condolences to the Family in particular his Son whom he was grooming on the wheel. Such a loss of knowledge and experience.

I have been following IRT since the beginning constantly throwing stuff at the TV set at home when I come across something in that show. This Mr Ward was one of my top driver favorites and is a very strong person for the Industry as exhibited by his actions on the show in the past.

It is my hope that in time years into the future there will be ten thousand new Mr Wards who learned by example and take his place someday if not today.

I love flight. Ive done a bit myself off the books but am a better Nav than a pilot due to ham hands. Any time you soar from this earth and touch the face of God... you are free.

207nomad Thanks this.
  5. banders77

banders77 Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    my prayers go out to his family.

thejackal Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I stopped making a point of watching IRT after the 3rd season. The few episodes in the later seasons that I did watch, Darrell was one of the few good drivers they followed on the show.

7. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    After the first few years , the show turned into a joke ! Watched one last night , Alex was moving some type of large storage tank . The chains had 6 to 8 inches of slack!

8. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Then he fell off the truck , while driving from the steps.

skellr Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    He did not FALL OFF the truck, he slipped a little bit.

It is actually an advantage to a chance to survie being halfway out of the cab out there. Ive put my foot on the fuel tank a time or two when huge winds get ahold of me and want to flip me over a bridge rail or something. ###### if you do and ###### if you don't I'll takes my chances with that steel grating.

There is no one better than Alex when it get towards ludicrious oversized or weight.

I guess with Mr Ward gone that makes Lisa 100% owner of the company now. Im hoping Ward Senior willed his share to his Son who was a up comer showing promise.

Steph is a overly emotional bunny in need of strong father gudiance being provided very well by some of Polar's best drivers. She will season well enough in time.

I don't have too many issues with IRT excepting abuse heaped onto the equiptment for the camera. Im not used to seeing center frame dragging the fuel tanks on momentum alone after taking a 10 foot hop clear into the sky with that drop steer axle. And yes I have deliberately bounced a tractor trailer a time or two myself.

Also...

Why stuff everything into a two month overtime period on the ice roads? Buy bunch of Surplus LCAC and jet them up the river or across the lake in all months of the year. I think two semis fit onto a LCAC. I like to solve problems by thinking big.

My next and last remaining peeve... Some of the drivers don't understand how to apply mechanical advantage to one long string (Chain...) throw a end through the pulley blocked onto the bumper of one, run the chain as needed through the other block of the pullee and repeat until your 5 or 7 reels are full. Then at that point a regular pickup truck can walk off with both trucks if necessary.

I get tired of seeing too many drivers.... toss a string onto a bumper and expect it to hold. SNAP!!!! are you kidding me? I don't know what the price is of a proper 7 wheel compound pulley system. Hook here to that truck, hook there over yonder to this truck and pull. No one needs to risk being cut in half anymore/

Don't look now Donner Pass is a regular American show for winter hell roads competing with the CDQ up near Hope BC

skellr Thanks this.
  10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    If they could get the Alaskan Bush People to be Ice Road Truckers...

11. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    I learned to drive with my Grandad running Northslope, the show is total #### and most the "advice" it gives would get your arse killed. Its been a few years sense I have drivin in Alaska. (Left after he passed away) but no way in hell has it changed to that much in the course of 12 years.

90% of that show is scripted and looks like most drivers are told what to do for the sake of the camera.

Stormy 69 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.