I'd hate to be the Celadon safety manager right about now

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by RedForeman, Aug 14, 2015.

1. XCELERATIONRULES

XCELERATIONRULES Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2014
    You cant fix stupid.
    Preventable accidents,like this,are quite sad.Cant really blame the company though.Company has a zero tolerance for alcohol at all their locations,and even off site,while on company business.We also get plenty of random drug tests.Its a shame,when innocent people die,at the hands of an alcoholic...especially one who gets behind the wheel,of a big truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Personally, I think the drug/alcohol tests are adequate, that's not the problem...

Sad situation all the way around..

4. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    These were my thoughts as well. It's a terrible loss. Those kids can't get their mom back. All because the driver failed to do probably the simplest thing we all do several times a day. It should be a reflex. Butt moving out of the seat, hand is pulling the brake knobs. Driver missed it this time and it was fatal. A perfect example of how many things we do as a routine every day, never really thinking much of it, that can be life and death decisions.

If I recall, the DUI charge was prescription drug related. Impossible to say whether it was some hard core narcotic, or maybe something else, even an unexpected reaction, that the driver had not been warned about by the pharmacist. Nonetheless, he was at less than 100% apparently. No doubt contributing to the incident.

I'm with @Cranky Yankee on the addicted being everywhere around us. IF that is the case (driver has a drug problem), it's not a big surprise. Even an amateur addict is very good at passing as sober, or being sober, for the right moment. No regulations or test will catch them all.

Yes I'm sure Celadon has a rigorous and compliant safety program. Probably operates new or nearly new equipment with all the latest safety gear. ELD. Automatic tire inflation. Anti-lock brakes. Anti-rollover technology. Active cruise control. Lane departure. Disc brakes. Maybe even driver facing cameras. Just like Total and Walmart do too.

And none of that stopped the driver from being on duty while taking prescription drugs, then hopping out of the cab without pulling the brakes. Or, in the other two cases, exercising good decision making and/or keeping their attention on the road.

I guess my point in all that rambling is the irony: despite all the fanfare in DC about truck safety, and an ongoing mission to make motor carriers spend their way to safety (supported heavily by the biggest carriers in the industry), all it takes is one dull driver to defeat all of that.

flyingmusician and pattyj Thank this.
  5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I agree and all the laws in the world isn't going to stop whats happening on our roads not now not never.I didn't see that part in the article where this was prescription related.If so there was probably a warning label on it.I have taken some heavy medicine when I had a toothache while on the road.Lable said do not take while driving and do not drive until so many hrs have passed.Can't remember exactly what it said because its been quite some time ago.There's been a time I forgot to set the brakes at a trk stop.I was walking up to the trkstop and seen it starting to roll,Iyelled at a driver to plz stop my trk,lol.He ran over and set the brks.That was the first and last time.Now ill double check.

6. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    It's not in the article I posted. I probably heard that on news coverage, either on WSB radio while driving, or last night on channel 5 news.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    When it comes to life there is absolutely no room for human error.This driver will get some prison time I reckon.

8. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    All these detectives on this forum.. LOL. It was a DUI ,how do you know it was alcohol?
    I was awakened in Denver by a city cop who told me to move my truck (even though I was legally parked, but thats another story). I told him I had taken an Ambien about 5 hours earlier, he didn't care so I asked "if I have an accident will I be charged with DUI"? As fuzzy as my head was, I was able to decide that driving was not a good idea.
    Non of you know the situation in the OP, if you have ever taken Lunesta or Ambien then you know what its like to perform tasks while totally unconscious. It is definitely DUI but its also not like having a drink before knowing that you will be driving, that is inexcusable, a guy being woken up an hour after taking an Ambien is not a criminal, he could have been asked to do it.
    If it was alcohol then he should go to jail, but non of you know yet.

ipogsd Thanks this.
  9. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    he will go to jail for not setting his brakes and killing someone
    length of prison sentence is only thing in question
    based on his blood work

10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    DUI is DUI, doesn't matter if it is booze, illegal drugs, prescribed drugs. It is STILL DUI, and is still STUPID, DANGEROUS AND AGAINST THE LAW. No matter how some fuzzy minded folks feel about it. There is NO DEFENSE and NO EXCUSE.

77smartin and flood Thank this.
  11. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Life is real simple for some simple folks.

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.