If you have a prescription can u still pass drug test

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by number1usJoe, Jan 28, 2007.

Do you take benzos or hynotics?

1. *

Benzos

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. *

hypnotics

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Elkatawa

Elkatawa Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2007
    KENTUCKY
    I was told my doctor that if it has a warning about making you sleepy then you may have a problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TOO_LATE

TOO_LATE Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2010
    North Carolina
    I worked at UPS. I screwed up and failed a drug screen. I was first sent to a counselor and without anyone requesting, I took all the med. bottles that I was prescribed (old medication) over the last few yrs.Big mistake! Although the UPS contract list 5 classes of disqualifying meds, I had a valium prescription ( a benzodiazepine) which is NOT listed as 1 of the banned drug classes. I took this at night and although I had 5 days left before my 19th yr. of safe driving,which was the best record in our center,U.P.S. terminated me. I should have not told anyone,take the drug screens, and it would not even show up. So much for being honest!

4. kaitlinpg

kaitlinpg Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Caneyville, KY
    I know that Benzodiazepinewill not show up on a NIDA screen because they are only allowed to test for 5 things by law and that isnt one of them...as far as what you can take does depend on the company some want you to take nothing and others are ok with it as long as you have a note from the doctor and actually as far as I have seen if you have a note and your DOT DR ok's it your good to go.

5. ghostranger5of7

ghostranger5of7 Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Springdale, AR
    It depends on what one considers "fail" or "pass". If it's a prescription for something that'll impair your ability to drive? You shouldn't be driving. In such case, you could be terminated. If it's something that WOULD have impaired, but you're no longer taking the med? No worries. Mention it to the tester, tell him/her what, when, and how much and they'll note it. The drug level in your urine can be measured, and from that they'll be able to guesstimate when you were using it.. If all matches as it should, you'll be given a green light.

I suppose in cases of disagreement between a Doc's judgement, and company policy, there could be wiggle room.... A letter from the doctor and quoting HIPA laws should cover you.

6. kaitlinpg

kaitlinpg Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Caneyville, KY
    the DOT does not test for any thing other then the 5 things that they are allowed to check for by LAW and they are Opiates,Amphetamines,Cocaine,Phencyclidine and THC ...Of course they can do a BAT to check for alcohol. They are NOT allowed to check for anything else..So if you are taking Benzodiazepines they cant check for that and it will not effect your drug test. My husband takes them and his dr knows it. BUT there are some companies that do not want you taking anything..I think that you would find that with alot of the bigger companies....Good Luck

7. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2008
    medford,or
    1. so if the doctor gives you meds and knows your duty is it ok .will you be legal.

8. RWP

RWP Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Lawrenceville, GA
    I take gabapentin and tramadol and failed my physical because the drug testing place that kllm sent me to said it was a disqualifying drug. They want my doctor to fax them a note saying it does not effect my ability to drive a commercial vehicle but my doctors office wont do that because they dont want to be held liable. I'm going to the doctor today to see if there is something else I can take that will be approved by the drug testing place.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.