IFTA Audit (Need some help)

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Zahid T2000, May 23, 2016.

1. Zahid T2000

Zahid T2000 Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Hello fellow Truckers,

I am being audited for IFTA for the year 2014. I am a carrier and only have leased long term owner operators that work for me with their own equipment obviously. The person auditing me is telling me that each and every leased owner operator has to registered under my IRP account because I do IFTA for those trucks even though I don't own them. This seems a little odd to me so I contacted a few friends that run their own authority as well and they all confirmed that this is not true. They can have their irp account and their own plates (like they do) and I can just do the IFTA for them. Can anyone confirm this on here as well?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    No that's not true they can run there own plates but have to run on company leased to ifta stickers.You do not want to mess around with ifta.They make the IRS look like sissys,Good luck

4. Zahid T2000

Jun 11, 2012
    Everything was filed accordingly and taxes paid. I just needed to confirm that my owner operators can have their own IRP account and plates and all they need from me is IFTA stickers. That's all I wanted to confirm here.

The auditor is telling me that they have to be on my IRP account as well as IFTA which I believe is wrong like everybody else said.

5. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    That's not true either.
    It depends on who the IFTA permit for the truck in question is issued to.
    You can have your own plates, and your own IFTA permit and file your own IFTA returns, while leased to a carrier.
    If the trucks running for the op are using his permit, then he is responsible for filing the IFTA returns. He is also responsible for the accuracy of those returns.

6. Zahid T2000

Jun 11, 2012
    I am responsible for IFTA return, thats not in question. However, the auditor is telling me that I need to have these trucks registered under my IRP as well which is throwing me off quite a bit since they are just leased Owner Operators.

7. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    So is your name on the permit card that is in their trucks ?

8. Zahid T2000

Jun 11, 2012
    Yes I am responsible for safety. But they have their own IRP accounts and registration.

9. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    I think id talk to a trucking attorney? Usually the company that a truck is leased to has to furnish all permits to run (including ifta). Thats the way it has always worked with me. Not sure Im totally grasping your problem but what the auditor is saying sounds right to me? Id check with an attorney to be sure though. D.O.T. can levy some huge fines.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.