IFTA Reporting

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by T Cosgrove Jones, Mar 18, 2016.

1. T Cosgrove Jones

T Cosgrove Jones Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2015
    How do most of you report your IFTA miles if you also use your one ton truck for personal use around town when your not hauling a load?
    Thanks
    Cosgrove

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tompetty69

tompetty69 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    TX Panhandle
    I think most one ton trucks are registered for 26,000 pounds or less, so IFTA does not apply.

T Cosgrove Jones Thanks this.
  4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Simple, you have to document all your personal miles for IRS purposes since they are not tax deductible so you would just not include those miles or fuel purchases on your IFTA report. All your IFTA report asks is total miles driven and gallons purchased in each jurisdiction so simply subtract any personal miles from your total. In reality, the personal miles should be such a low percentage of total miles that it won't matter, you are purchasing fuel to drive those miles anyhow so it will all even out in the wash.

T Cosgrove Jones Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You don't.

the miles on the truck registered for commercial use with IFTA are the miles you pay for because it is a road tax, not an IRS income tax issue.

The same holds for the personal convenience issue with big trucks, the miles are not weeded out by the log entries, the log has a total mile per day and that's what gets used to check the IFTA claims in an audit.

T Cosgrove Jones and brian991219 Thank this.
  6. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    The best way to keep track of reportable IFTA miles is to do a trip envelope on each run showing miles driven, and gallons purchased in each state that you travel in. Thats what I do, and when it's time to do my quarterly IFTA reports I just pull the envelope out of my file cabinet and use the info ( miles and gallons) on them. Pretty simple. I do not show, or pay IFTA fuel tax on my personal conveyance miles. The tax you pay at the pump is sufficient for personal conveyance.

Yelsew, T Cosgrove Jones and Toona67 Thank this.
  7. T Cosgrove Jones

T Cosgrove Jones Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Flatbed Carrier. That is what I was going to do. Thanks Cosgrove

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  8. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Separating miles is useless cause all miles are supposed to be reported.
    Never write your odometer reading down and the miles are whatever you want them to be.
    I went through a ifta audit a couple years ago. I had to pay like 12 dollars it took them two years to collect it and
    I'd estimate around 4-5000 in administrative cost for all the hearings and court reporters to collect the 12 dollars.
    easiest way is take log book and rate sheets put this in a mileage program that separates by states be sure and put in fuel stops and you have the info you need. Some guys write in a notebook each time they cross an state line, I think it's to much of a waste of effort. ifta filing = miles, fuel purchase in a format that looks half way accurate

9. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I've gone through 6 audits and it is always a straight line mileage reporting system.

the purpose of IFTA is to make sure that the states get their road taxes. If you learn how to fill up in the right state to take advantage of their taxes for your IFTA reporting, you will pay little taxes - and because these trucks get good mileage, you won't be paying a lot to begin with - it is also taken off the taxes when you file.

YOU can not take out or remove the personal stuff from the truck, it has nothing to do with what the truck is used for - personal or commercial. This is all about road taxes and it is the total mileage within any given state. This will be estimated by an auditor if they think any subtraction was done and possible it levied at the highest amount of taxes in which a state you were in.

If you purchase fuel under IFTA, then you pay a different tax (or should) than an under 26k vehicle pays. This is because each state taxes fuel differently based on their needs and collects it every quarter.

SO to make it simple, keep track of your interstate mileage the best you can, just keep a note about it when you cross the state line with the mileage write it down somewhere or make a voice memo on your phone. The nav systems like Garmin keep track of it for you by the way.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  10. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    6 ifta audits you must have something that sets their system off ?
    One could be random but 6 they think something.
    I knew and was told why I was audited.
    logbook pages, rates and PC miler and they couldn't find but 12 dollars and that took 2 years.
    the 12 dollars was I refused to report kansas and I rerouted a couple times and forgot.
    I basically just deleted kansas miles cause I didn't want to screw with their rendition form.
    I told kansas that and the people here that. also. I told them I don't live in kansas and not going to pay property tax there or fill out the form.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yes 6, he first two were random in three years or that is what they said but because FedEx kept sending in their reports and then finding errors then revising them and then giving them a completely different report, I with others were flagged to ensure that they were accurate, it was a pia.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.