ifta stickers

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by 10speed55, May 3, 2016.

1. 10speed55

10speed55 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2012
    southwest va
    I was looking at other threads thought this question might have been ask before, probably has i just missed it. Does the driver or the company or both or neither get punished for not having a up to date ifta sticker on truck. thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    Why would you leave out with a truck that had an expired IFTA sticker. It's your responsibility to make sure all plates,permits and such are current and in the truck before you go anywhere.My understanding would be that the owner of the truck will get the ticket and fines for no IFTA but I'm sure the company wouldn't be happy with you for putting them in that position.

10speed55 Thanks this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Should be putting them in the permit book when they come in (before end of current year) and instruct driver to apply over old one in new year in a warm climate .... or display the new one beside the old one...

Probably too much thinking required

10speed55 Thanks this.
  5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    My guess if you have a current valid IFTA license but the sticker came off your truck. The owner of the truck would get a warning. Depends on cop may be a money ticket.
    If you don't have a current valid IFTA license you can be shut down, with big fines.
    If the IFTA sticker fell off, just order another one. They only cost $5.

10speed55 Thanks this.
  6. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Probably be a fine for not having the sticker on there seeing as you just copy the licence but each sticker has a price. Those things are incredibly sticky. Not sure how they can "fall off"... I doubt an officer would buy any of that.

10speed55 Thanks this.
  7. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    If you just lost the sticker, I'd say the fine would be minimal (maybe just a warning with a good cop). If they let the IFTA license lapse, that could mean huge fines for the company.

I've suffered through a IFTA audit before, those people mean business. I say suffered but it really wasn't that big of a deal. I just gave them all my paperwork, which I knew was right, and they did too after the audit. They made sure you knew though that if everything wasn't right, there would be fines, back charges, and interest.

Just do a Google search for IFTA fines. You can pay all the money you're required but if your records can't prove it, there has been more than one company bankrupted because of it.

10speed55 Thanks this.
  8. 10speed55

10speed55 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2012
    southwest va
    Thank you all for your responce to my question.

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    THE glue wears out..the stickers start peeling off. Or maybe it's just a utah thing. We have that problem with and any type of vehicle sticker

10. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I've never had that problem ... although I will hold off putting the new one until I am somewhere it's decently warm out. They do give I think until March 1 before they start looking for current sticker

11. Nuggetman212

Nuggetman212 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2017
    I have had that issue. I always thought that you had to have the current IFTA stickers displayed on your truck. Our Supervisor in the office told us that as long as we had the current IFTA paperwork in the truck that we didn't need the stickers on the side of the truck. Not sure if I believe it but that's
    what we was told.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.