I'm a potential new guy, interested in Schneider...

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by PitchforkedPineapple, Oct 25, 2015.

1. sicksfeet

sicksfeet Medium Load Member

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
    You're gonna get the micromanagement anywhere you go. If not the box planners in van, it'll be every chemical plant you pull into in bulk. Flip the spectrum on drop and hook too. Almost everything you do in bulk is live. Plus every load ends and begins at a tank wash, which like to pretend they can micromanage to a certain extent.

AM14 and gentleroger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. So, like anything else, I guess it's just a matter of which flavors of poo you prefer.

AM14 and sicksfeet Thank this.
  4. sicksfeet

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
    Exactly. There is no aspect of this industry that is cut and dry.

PitchforkedPineapple Thanks this.
  5. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    That's pretty much what I'm gathering after all my reading and research on all the different companies, divisions, etc. etc.

6. sicksfeet

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
    If you're not sure about something, the only advice I can give you is try it. Leave yourself an out just in case you don't like it. I started in van just like almost everyone else. I've pulled flatbed, reefer and tanks and now back to dry van. I tried everything just to see what I would like better. Flatbed wasn't bad, was in much better shape back then lol. But as far as ease on myself and my equipment, dry van was the way to go for me. It may not be the most glamorous division of any company, it may not be the best paying division anywhere. I've found that dry van choice works best for me and suits my needs and that's really all I care about. Me. You gotta find what works for you, based on you. Trial and error is part of life, this is no different. It seems like you want to dabble in tanks, I say go for it. You may love it. I didn't, but I sure as hell didn't go broke trying lol.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  7. sicksfeet

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
    Double post. Crap service

8. sicksfeet

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
  9. I prefer the flavor of poo that does not involve highlighting my current lack of mechanical skill, and does highlight my customer service skill. Plus, I'm that type that wants to excel at what I do, in that I want to be seen at the top of the job...for example, I worked at a teaching hotel. I take that in the same respect that an MD who works at a teaching hospital does. You've reached a point where you're good enough to be looked at as having expertise. Going into an entirely new field, I get that I won't have that expertise, but in the reading I've done I have found out that tankers seem to be a breed apart. I've never liked conforming. This all makes sense to me in my own head; hopefully it comes across to y'all the same.

sicksfeet Thanks this.
  10. rz14nj

rz14nj Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    you're going to need some mechanical skills in bulk. the valves don't always work properly. they freeze shut in the winter. they also leak, can't always trust the guy who dropped that clean MT to get loaded actually bothered to check them. you will be expected to attempt some sort of repair before heading to the nearest OC or tank wash to get it fixed.

AM14 Thanks this.
  11. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    @PitchforkedPineapple I know what you mean about not conforming and tankers being a different breed. I have a mechanical past and was looking forward to the new challenges that Bulk would provide. With the recent changes in SNI Bulk's experience requirements, I decided to jump onto the Dedicated International Paper account. It was that or OTR. This account (seems) a better fit for me and my family right now as I try to ease into trucking. I know I won't be bringing home much bacon but I wasn't expecting much in my first year anyway and we are planning accordingly.

The Lightweight Solutions position wasn't as appealing to me. I definitely want to get into Bulk at the soonest opportunity but right now I think getting the experience behind the wheel is more important than what type of trailer I'm pulling. SNI says I can transfer into Bulk after 6 months. Not sure how easy that's going to be to get them to let me switch since I'd have to train all over again and that costs money but from what I have read, it isn't impossible. If not, I'll just ride it out with the dry van until I get some time under my belt to be more marketable to local or better companies.

My test date is Dec. 11th and I might be starting orientation on the 15th but most likely on the 29th. Gotta pass the test first though. I'm confident but a lot of guys from my school are failing NJ's new test for stupid reasons. I just gotta make sure that I'm not one of them.

PitchforkedPineapple Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.