I'm going to quit swift

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by USA_forever, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Jeidson

Jeidson Bobtail Member

May 24, 2016
    Hay brother quit that crap with the big company's come a join fedex custom critical

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Huh?? You just started a thread about how Werner lies, they don't pay, you're looking for other companies, putting yours or someones phone number in the post blah blah blah. And now you tell OP to quit the big company's and come and join custom critical like you run for them?

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    CHHALL3, Subutai and firemedic2816 Thank this.
  4. Thuggishcoot

Thuggishcoot Light Load Member

May 19, 2016
    Swift is an amazing company, get with a different fleet, DM sounds like a prick

5. Thuggishcoot

Thuggishcoot Light Load Member

May 19, 2016
    Hahhah I know right? Annoying

AM14 and Mr. OBX Thank this.
  6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I work for Gordon Trucking and they take just the opposite approach. They forbid drivers from having dash cams or any recording devices in the cab. I guess they figure that most accidents are their drivers fault and they don't want video evidence of an accident so they can fight it in court should they have to.

I drive a 2014 Freighliner Cascadia with a 10 speed manual and the lane change alarm. Their entire fleet has manual transmissions and they plan on staying that way. My way of dealing with the heart stopping noise of the lane alarm was to cover the speakers of the alarm with two layers of toilet paper and black electrical tape. I can still hear it but the noise doesn't scare the crap out of me when it goes off.

The day my employer points a camera at me is the day I quit. As somebody pointed out earlier, there are too many instances of people accessing video and watching it for fun. I don't want to be the subject of management water cooler conversation because there is a camera recording my every move.

Friday and AM14 Thank this.
  7. vikedog

vikedog Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Valdosta, Ga
    I actually think you should get a severe shocking sensation when you fail to signal. My pet peeve

8. Mightystar80

Mightystar80 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2016
    The camera on the driver is to show what he was doing when they get in an accident, like being drowsy behind the wheel, leaning over to do something that takes their eyes off the road and similar distractions like that but honestly if they didn't lower their standards on the people they recruit then they wouldn't need stuff like that. Reading, writing, and speaking English should be a must.

9. coldhearttrucka

coldhearttrucka Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2014
    USA
  10. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    I would've fled and told them exactly where to shove that "driver cam". They all give that "it's for your own safety and only if something happens", and then they turn around and spy on the drivers despite stating otherwise. Maybe a forward only dash cam like Holland has but having that eyeball staring at me all day and having it used to micromanage the ##### out of me would have me flipping the bird at it. The sad part is that's Swift's way of making up for their pitiful excuse of a training program. I doubt if that company's higher-ups will learn to remedy that until it's too late, or if FMCSA finally gets a brain and nails them.

11. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Quit. Cameras suck. So does swift.

And now on to a different tangent than most people have here:

One thing I don't understand is how everyone out there seems to know what Swift's training program is like. Everyone agrees that it's awful and terrible and that it obviously produces horribly bad drivers that need a camera and safety devices to be allowed out on the road.

Well, I went through their training program. Wrote a thread about it in fact. And I'll give it this. It's terrible. And people don't get trained really. But it's also next to impossible not to fail out of it for people that don't get how a truck works.

Sure, I only did the CDL training. And there are better CDL schools out there. But as far as getting my license quickly and extremely cheaply (free) it was a good way to go.

They also require 200 hours on the drive line with a trainer before someone is let out on their own. 50 with the trainer in the passenger seat and 150 as a team. Now this part of their training is god awful and one of the main reasons I ran before that started.

Anyhow usa, find a better company. Sounds like you've some experience and that you're safer than most people. Don't listen to the bunch of jerk offs here that seem to think that anyone that started truck driving in the last 5 years is obviously unsafe. Good luck out there!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.