I'm Headed Back To Reefer World

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Frank Speak, May 25, 2016.

1. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I start my new gig Tuesday. My first gig (3.5 years ago) was reefer. After spending almost 3 years in the dry van world, I'm going back to reefer. I doubt much has changed in that amount of time, but I have heard that most of the new reefer units set themselves for continuous or stop/start, depending on the temp setting. The new ones seem to be quieter as well.

Anyway, guess it's time to break out my old thermometers. :)

KriegHund Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    It depends how your company has the units setup as far as automatically selecting cycle or continuous.

Welcome back. Ready for some more abuse? Lol

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    The TK units are quieter, Carriers still sounds like a turbo prop winding up for a short field take-off.(at least at my company, and most of our trailers are fairly new)

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  5. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    It's definitely different. I don't mind the night driving. In fact, I actually like it, which is a good thing because the company I'm going to drives 80-90% at night. I'm like everybody else when it comes to sitting at warehouses for hours. I'm hoping I don't do a lot of that. I was told (for what that's worth, lol) that I'll be mostly doing multi-stop loads delivering to grocery stores (Publix). But either way, I know the drill. lol

6. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Depends on shippers requirements usually, lots of produce is required to be run continuously because of temperature sensitivity &/or fresh air circulation/humidity requirements while other products such as some class 3 flammables I just hauled can afford to have a 10 degree temperature swing on start/stop cycle.
    Some carriers just don't want to risk start/stop so they use continuous all the time.
    Also, riskier to use start/stop in low temperatures because of the negative effects on battery start power, short run times, & fuel gelling.

Depends also on if your company has "smart presets" installed on their reefers. On Carrier reefers they are referred to as "Intellisets" & determine a whole host of effects based on the Intelliset parameters such as start/stop or continuous, min/max temps, start temps, stop temps, defrost cycles, recirculating or using fresh air, RPM limits/priority/ramp up, ect.

The older carrier reefers sound like a roaring tornado while the newer emission ready X4 7300/7500 & Vector 8500/8600 use a DPF filter so they have a much lower note that sounds like a slow, droning giant bumblebee & the lower Hz sound travels though barriers (truck cab) better, vibrating & droning into your eardrums much more effectively.

Taking a wild shot that you are going to work for Davis Express out of Starke, FL?

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Reason for edit: Grammar.
    Frank Speak Thanks this.
  7. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    Correct

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.