In a holding pattern

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by TahoeTrucker, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Ben Gunn

Ben Gunn Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Forgotten Coast
    10-4 to that. Ignorance is bliss! Best of luck to all of us, we're going to need it.

AModelCat and TahoeTrucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TahoeTrucker

TahoeTrucker Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    I agree, best of luck. Buckle up and hang on cuz it's going to be a wild ride!

4. Ben Gunn

Ben Gunn Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Forgotten Coast
    Tahoe Trucker, what part of the lake are you from? I lived in Reno for several years and have many fond memories of snow boarding Mt. Rose and Squaw Valley. Also the drive south down 395 to Mono Lake and Mammoth. Gorgeous scenery.

TahoeTrucker Thanks this.
  5. TahoeTrucker

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    I'm from Truckee. I worked at North star for 5 years doing private security before I decided to start driving. Definitely done the 395 drive a number of times, it's the best way to get down to LA.

6. J Man

J Man Medium Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Middle of nowhere
    On the Utah side of the border crude is still moving but water is all but dead. Too many oil companies have either gone to pipeline or have chosen to shut in the wells that produced a lot of water. Still a little fresh water going to a couple rigs we have up over here and a little produced water going to the disposals, but not much. On the fuel delivery side we are keeping busy getting the farmers through the end of the season and the couple rigs full up, but I think when the farmers are done it is going to be a slow, grim winter.

Chinatown and TahoeTrucker Thank this.
  7. TahoeTrucker

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Yeah same here, seems like oil is still moving but water has come to a crawl. Most of our big water was already set up to be piped to the disposal so when they decided to open the pipes a few weeks ago we were hit pretty hard.

8. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

I spoke to a company about a week ago and heard the same BS. Never mind I drive through rush hour traffic in the 4th largest city in America. Except for a stint out in West TX I spend about 95% of my time on highways and interstate and I'm pulling a hazmat load but I'm not good enough for OTR van lol.

TahoeTrucker and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I know of 3 OTR companies that will probably hire you oil field workers. These companies cut some slack on the experience.

BT Express Global Services - flatbed outfit in Weatherford, Oklahoma. Smaller company with about 30 trucks.
    Freymiller - reefers
    JBS Carriers - reefers

Only negative I've read about is one former oil field worker said the Texas Regional with JBS Carriers isn't good because not enough miles weekly. The OTR drivers there seem to do OK.

Rockdoctor and TahoeTrucker Thank this.
  10. glenn71

glenn71 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Heh, I had a recruiter tell me that a week ago when I inquired about a regional position. She said I had not crossed enough state lines or some such BS. The fact that I hauled hazmat tankers wasn't even a consideration. I actually asked her if the roads were different in other states as opposed to Texas. She thought I was being a smart ### and cut the interview short, which was fine with me.

I dunno, maybe you guys all drive on the wrong side of the road or something. :D

It just occurred to me that when I was doing crude a recruiter told me I didn't have enough experience for local stuff, and now that I drive local, a recruiter told me I don't have enough experience for OTR. What a mess this industry is.

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  11. TahoeTrucker

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    The only reason I find that funny is because it's the same road block I keep running into. Hey I know freightliner has that self driving truck, I wonder how it would handle lease roads?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.