IN CAB CAMERAS OPINIONS

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by BOB42025, Aug 25, 2015.

1. BOB42025

BOB42025 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2015
    My company is trying to install an in cab camera system in my truck. What's everyone's opinion? I don't know if I should quit or wait and see how it operates.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    It depends. As long as it doesn't record you driving also, I'm all for them. My current company has them but they only record in front & down the passenger side of the truck. The cameras have saved the company a lot of money & a few drivers' butts. We had a lady that changed lanes & hit our driver. Camera caught everything. She tried telling trooper that the truck hit her. Trooper asked driver his side of the story & he just said he would let his camera do the talking. Lady got the ticket & had to pay for the damage. Caught quite a few other drivers that hit our trucks in the truckstops. Can't beat video proof. When I get my own truck it will have a camera in it. So will my personal vehicles.

BOB42025 Thanks this.
  4. T_Bone

T_Bone Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, there is a BIG difference between a front facing camera and a rear facing (in-cab) camera.

It's their truck and they are paying you to drive it. They have the right to monitor the driving. And its good for insurance purposes (half the time).

But in-cab is your living space, thats private.

BOB42025 Thanks this.
  5. BOB42025

BOB42025 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2015
    They are both in cab and front. In cab is where I'm having my issues. They say it doesn't record while truck is off but you never know

6. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I personally wouldn't drive with one recording me. I've got nothing to hide but I don't like the idea. I'm sure one day all trucks will have them.

Jacked Jaw and BOB42025 Thank this.
  7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Camera facing the driver is all about blaming the driver. They can say whatever they want anytime they want-- look this driver has a habit of grabbing a cigarette and lighting it while driving every half hour or so and picks up and sips a drink every half hour or so and look he changed the radio channel about every half hour and he talks on the CB every so often and answers is blue tooth all the time etc etc. Then they will say well there was a crash, it was the other guy's fault and the driver had two hands on the wheel and all but he does have a habit of using one hand on the wheel 12% of the day so therefore we will conclude it is the truck driver's fault.

BOB42025, Canned Spam and RStewart Thank this.
  8. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Read my reply in your other post on this subject

BOB42025 and Canned Spam Thank this.
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Dash cam showing the space in front of the truck? That's fine. I've got one of my own.

Camera facing the driver? They couldn't afford to pay me enough to operate under those conditions.

Remember, that camera facing you isn't there to help you. Nobody is perfect 100% of the time, and the company won't hesitate to throw you under the bus.

Jacked Jaw, BOB42025 and Arkansas Thank this.
  10. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Technology is changing this business and not necessarily for the better. The more controls the government and carriers attempt to impose on drivers, the more drivers will abandon the industry. One of the greatest attractions for those seeking to enter this business has been the independence and lack of oversight it offered.

BOB42025 Thanks this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yes, technology is changing, but what is also changing is people's attitude about technology. For every one the "quits" because of technology, there are 2 more coming out of school or from another dead-end job who don't care and have no sense of the idea that privacy given up or loss of privacy agreed to, can never be gotten back

BOB42025 and G/MAN Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.