In-cab switch for speed limiter?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by CousinVinny, May 20, 2015.

1. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    Anyone heard of or know of any switch kits being sold that will enable a driver to flip on/off a speed limit on-the-fly? The only thing I have come up with is Bully Dog's WatchDog which is a pretty pricey unit with a bunch of features I don't need. I'm looking for a solution for Pete's, KW's and Macks running Cat/Cummins/Detroit/Mack engines, I just want to mount a simple switch in the cab somewhere.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Activate the driver rewards in the ecm. If plugged in the reader will show a governed speed of say 65. But you can set the parameters so you will always be a "rewarded driver" and it will give you the extra speed.

CousinVinny Thanks this.
  4. bjytech

bjytech Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Ohio
    With the way ECM's are set up it's not possible to just make a switch to change the speed limiter, data has to actually be written to the ECM to change the speed limiter.

flood and Shaggy76 Thank this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I'm confused here. You want a switch to activate or deactivate the speed gov in your truck?

Why not just have the speed gov turned off? Why have it on at all if you intend to turn it off?

Is this your truck,.. or does it belong to another carrier?

Hurst

6. Shaggy76

Shaggy76 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    If this is a company truck, not going to happen. You will not find a shop to turn up the truck. Now, most of these "road guys" won;t do it either. Detroit, Cummins, Paccar all 3 now have on their ECMs of who was in that ECM and when. I can pull up the last 10 connections and even go as far back as to the first program connection on that ECM with the settings I have. International, the junk engines they are, have a anti-tamper set up that even those that plug in a handheld will leave dust on the module. If the software is licensed, it will have the license number and the owner can report that the licensed connected to the truck without authorization and have your license turned off. Shops or those with licensed software will not take that chance,

As far as running a switch, that is also a not going to happen. Reason is most trucks are "multi-plexed" meaning several different signals (reference voltages) are going through the same wire from various sensors and in certain patterns. If you interrupt that signal by installing a wire and changing the voltage patterns by adding in the resistance from that wire, you will code out and then possibly get a "hard code" to set in the EVM, MCM, VCU (all depending on the truck) and you can kiss your job good bye. Not only your job, but possibly a career for an employer can report "tampered with safety equipment" as a reason and you'll be screwed.

123456 Thanks this.
  7. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    What I was thinking of was a switch in the cab for our drivers that travel into Canada so they can flip the limiter on/off as they hit the borders, not 'turning up' the truck.

The shop guys just happened to mention to me they have heard of something like this in the past but didn't know much else about it. After doing some homework and asking here, what I think they heard of is people using that "SafetyPass Pro" speed limiter bypass module thingamajig. I see it being marketed towards Canadian and Australian drivers who want to break the law, and to American drivers who travel into Canada and want the ability to bypass the limiter as they return to the fatherland.

That is absolutely, without a doubt not something I would ever consider installing in my trucks.

I saw that the BullyDog Watch Dog monitor has the ability to adjust the truck's speed limiter on-the-fly and that's where I got the idea to ask here - is it actually altering parameters in the ECU or is there a pin you can change resistance on to alter the speed limiter on some trucks? We have a decent amount of Titans with MP10's and I know those things are locked down like Fort Knox, not surprisingly the Watch Dog doesn't support those trucks.

Also, the legality issue of that Watch Dog unit. If it does change parameters and has to be plugged into the diagnostic port to function, I suspect it would be considered a tampering device.

In the end, my conclusion is: On modern trucks it ain't gonna happen.

8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    The bully dog cannot adjust it on the fly. Engine must be off. Key in on position, rpms=0. I have the expensive hdgt.

9. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    The Safety Pass Pro simply alters the voltage to the vehicle speed sensor.. you can do the same thing with a dimmer switch, weatherpack plug, and some wire, and not spend $250+ for that POS... which isn't going to work on current production trucks, anyhow - it only works on trucks which use an analog signal.

10. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Changing voltage does nothing to adjust speed signal, you cannot used a dimmer switch, I've know people who've tried and failed. To change the speed that the ECM see's, you need to change the frequency. Almost all vehicle speed sensors are analog, the ECM converts it to a digital signal. The VSS is nothing more than a magnet in a coil. When the teeth of the tone ring passes it, a small A/C voltage is produced. The ECM uses the frequency of that to determine wheel speed. Higher or lower voltage will change nothing expect cause a VSS fault if it cannot produce enough voltage to get a signal. You can alter voltage with the air gap, but that only changes amplitude not frequency.

Safety Pas Pro changes the frequency to fool the ECM to thinking that it's going slower than it really is. The reason this does not work on many newer trucks is that they compare wheel based speed from the ABS system to transmission output speed. If the difference is too much, the ECM decides which is more likely and uses it. 4 ABS sensors that match overrides 1 oddball vehicle speed sensor, so you'll get a check engine for a VSS fault and the speedo and speed limiter keep on working using the ABS system as it's source.

roshea, Hammer166, wore out and 4 others Thank this.
  11. Shaggy76

Shaggy76 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    You are dead on GrapeApe!

What some of the fleets I have worked on are partnering with shops at the borders to do the top speed adjust, enter Canada and do your delivery/pickup, then return to the US and then return to the shop for the top speed adjustment.

Canada is a pain and that is why a lot of fleets are going there less and less while the large fleets are gobbling up all the freight. I quit going to Canada in my driving days a long time ago because of the hassles. I drove a 72 mph truck and wasn't cutting it down to 65 for them. I'm like most people in saying that other countries shouldn;t dictate what I do in my country. That is why I also quit going to California and then just sold the truck for the whole industry became too much of a pain.

me myself and I Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.