Independent Dispatcher as a career

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by nanew, Apr 11, 2015.

1. nanew

nanew Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I have a question about becoming an Independent Dispatcher. I have owned my own box truck and cargo van for gees about 22 years running expedited freight across the country. I missed everything my first son did now I have a 3 and 4 year old and don't feel like missing everything. I looked into an agent and a broker but would rather fight for the truckers and really try for both of us to win. I'm going to take a class with coverloads.com to get some experience with the actual ins and outs of the industry. I've dispatched my own loads and negotiated better rates over the years so im not 100% green.

What is the biggest obstacle a new independent dispatcher faces?
    Is there truly a market for an independent dispatcher or is it going to be fazed out in the future?
    Is it difficult to find owner operators that are willing to go with you if you are new as a independent dispatcher?
    When you contact brokers off the load board are they just worried about the Motor carriers experience or mine as well?
    Are load boards the only place a dispatcher can find loads or is there anyway to solicit shippers in the name of the motor carrier you represent?
    Are there very few loads on a load board that pay any good rates?

I know its another hand in the cookie jar and all the other complaining that goes with it. Isn't it worth if someone truly fights for better rates and doesn't try to load you with junk? I mean %5 of nothing is nothing. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I think you need to use the term broker, it would be easier to be a broker than a dispatcher. A broker is someone who actually solicits for a load from a shipper or another broker and finds trucks to use (sometimes the truck is there but the load isn't).

4. nanew

nanew Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I don't want to be a broker or a freight agent I'm looking at becoming an independent dispatcher. Someone who works for the O/O to find them loads. I know the differences between them all and what they actually do but i am not sure if there is other ways for a dispatcher to find loads. Referring to using only load boards to find loads.

5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I have a friend who does it. He charges a reasonable fee, and has authorization from the motor carrier to book loads on their behalf. I think he gets his leads on craigslist.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.