Induction cooktop burner to cook in truck

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by kabusheke2004, Oct 3, 2015.

1. kabusheke2004

kabusheke2004 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Virginia
    Hello all,
    I do OTR and I prefer to cook my own meals over buying the expensive unhealthy foods in the TS. Currently I use a crock pot to cook my meals but I need an induction cooktop burner. I recently bought one online from best buy. Rated 800w and it did not work on the company 1500w inverter. I have posted of what i bought from Best Buy online. Looking for something similar or advice if i may need a more Watts inverter.Anyone can suggest the best way to go about it? Thanks. IMG-20150918-WA0004.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jbee

jbee Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2011
    NC
    Startup wattage on these small types of appliances (Think microwave, space heater, coffee maker etc) also known as Peak or Surge watts is what kills the inverters when paired. In other words, you should know the draw on startup these will pull, vs what your inverter can handle. If they get close to the max, most inverters will (And should) throw a breaker or blow a fuze.

I'm assuming you're using a regular type TS inverter, vs a true sine wave or modified sine wave. The latter categories are designed to handle more Peak or Surge loads then a typical 1500w inverter.

Some other things to consider are the inverter loads on older batteries. Just 1 battery out of whack can throw the rest of the remaining bank off. Also, if you are using an extension cord, make sure it's one of good quality and exceeds the wattage rating of your inverter.

I have a question: Was the truck running when you tried to start up and use the burner?

kabusheke2004 Thanks this.
  4. kabusheke2004

kabusheke2004 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Virginia
    Yes. The truck was running as I tried the cook top. I don't think it's the inverter coz I run a microwave rated 900w and a small fridge and an electric cooler all at the same time with no issues. This time I unplugged all of the above and tested the cooktop all by itself and it did not work. Apparently I am home now and tried it in the house and it won't work so I am betting the issue is the faulty appliance. Thanks for response

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.