Insurance Standard and Prices

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Lil'Bit254, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Lil'Bit254

Lil'Bit254 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2015
    The more threads I read the angrier I get at Progressive; I wanting some direct input about your insurance experience as a hotshot carrier! Here is a brief summary of what I have going on - maybe some of you more experienced folks can chime in :)

- Insured out of Alabama - Insured with Progressive Direct - $1m /$100k limits.
    - Unlimited Radius because anything over 500 mile radius is considered unlimited...
    - Driver has a clean MVR. - Class A CDL (5+ yrs.) - 2014 Ram 3500 (covered at 56k)
    - Commodities Hauled: Containers (empty), Small Equipment, Plastic Drainage Pipe, Vehicles (rarely, and to kick it they apperently didn't have that listed!!!! Spoke to them twice about this!!!)

TOTAL YEARLY COST: $21,000

I've read several posts touching on this here and there and I'm pretty sure I'm getting royally screwed especially for a hotshot. Please advise!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I know it's 50% cheaper more or less once you begin your second year. I was quoted 10 to 10.5K for first year with new MC number, dry van, general freight, squeaky clean driving record, little over 5 years in big trucks.
    Some other guy told me 13K.
    I think progressive is very expensive for all types of insurance. They say they can save you $500 year on auto, but I only pay $275 a year for my F350, 4x4 at that. ( State Farm )
    Shop til you drop.

4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    My first year in business I had to pay a hefty sum also, 1996. I pay less now for 3 trucks & 3 trailers than I did for 1 truck by itself.

mp4694330 Thanks this.
  5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    The last time I renewed my insurance, my agent told me he was seeing first year carriers paying an average of $16,000/year. And, yes you are getting screwed at $21,000. In fact, about every time I renew my insurance I feel the insurance company is trying to screw me. Still, I have a lower rate than most, according to my agent.

6. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    The first thing you should do is leave the term "hotshot" out of the conversation when talking with your insurance agent/company. And if they use the term ,tell them that's not what you are, tell them your just a run of the mill over the road LTL carrier.

When they hear Hotshot they automatically think expedited and off road deliveries and use that to increase your rate.

With a clean driving record, and since you've been holding a CDL for 5 years, your rate should be in the $7,000.00 to $8,000.00 a year range as a new start up.

Call another insurance agent/company.

7. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    I dont know how they came up with that crazy number. My first year i paid $7800 for unlimited mileage with truck and trailer valued at $55,000. I also had a clean cdl and a good credit rating.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.