intake temp range

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by gunner76, May 6, 2016.

1. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    What is an acceptable intake temp range for long term running? I found the intake gauge on my CAT ID and was just wondering what ranges is safe for the engine since I can't seem to find any answers anywhere. Engine is a modified C15 Acert.

I was keeping track today and with temps in the lower 80's, driving 65 and bucking a strong crosswind the temps were staying in the 115*-125* range. They were running right around 100* before it got warm and slowly started to rise as the outside temp and wind went up. On a long hard pull I had the temp spike at 150* but drop back down once I leveled off at my desired speed. This morning when driving empty in 50* temps the intake never got above 90*.

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    That's about what mine runs... a stock, company spec '07.

gunner76 Thanks this.
  4. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    High Intake Manifold Air Temperature Warning code sets at 194* intake manifold air temp. The very high code sets at 230*. So somewhere below those.

gunner76 Thanks this.
  5. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    Thanks guys. I've asked a few mechanics and looked on the web and couldn't get any numbers to go by. It seemed like nobody really gave intake temps much of a thought.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.