interesting read about DOT inspections

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Commuter69, May 20, 2015.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Kinda figured that out on my own ... I can't tell you how many times I have gotten hauled around back and asked to see my log or my permit book whatever ... after an easy, quick look over they almost always say "have a good day" and off I go ...

I drive a 15 year old truck, but I keep it clean, keep new tires lots of tread on them, there is not oil splashing all down the sides, all the lights work. There is nothing obviously wrong with it. Yeah, if they looked real close they could write me up for a leaking rear main seal. It leaks about one gallon per 10,000 miles. I also keep cab tidy and I shower pretty well every day. Appearance and attitude go a long way to avoiding inspection all together ...

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Common sense I thought, although I know that evades some people.

4. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    Attitude and appearance of yourself and your truck go a long way.

White_Knuckle_Newbie and ch3gui Thank this.
  5. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014

Sometimes common sense isn't...... common!

mrdot and MZdanowicz Thank this.
  6. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Look at any line of trucks going down the highway and you can tell which ones will get pulled around back. It's not rocket science. Look in a truck stop TV lounge and you can pick out the drivers that have no clue how to act around a DOT officer. Look professional - Be professional and it's surprising how 'lucky' you get not being pulled in or being let go with a thank you from the officer.

7. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    As said, it should be common sense. Never was a time that I would be delayed in a scale house. Heck, years ago, due to my attitude, I got out of an expensive scale ticket. So keeping one's mouth shut goes a long way.

Although so many years ago since I have been in trucking school, I vividly remember what my first instructor told the class.

"99.9 % of your troubles start when you open your mouth"

Advice well given, and adhered to all these years.

White_Knuckle_Newbie Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I've noticed the Oklahoma I-40, west side inbound scales put those trucks up on the scale, stop them, scrutinize the hell out of the numbers and no telling what all else, then a after a while will decide what light to give them ... maybe as bad or worse then Georgia I-20 west side inbound
    They throw that open sign on, and in 2 minutes they're backed past the off ramp, scaling only about 1 every 60 seconds or so. It's ridiculous.

9. Diesel Blood

Diesel Blood Bobtail Member

May 21, 2015
    A good first impression can make a huge difference. If you keep a clean truck, do a pretrip inspection in the morning, have proper hygiene, dress presentably and treat the inspectors with respect you will spend much less time at the scales.

ch3gui Thanks this.
  10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I just went through that in OK yesterday.
    One truck was sitting on the scale for several minutes, but I was too far back to see if he got pulled in.
    I sat for about 15 seconds and then cut loose.
    It took nearly 15 minutes to get through, but some of that may have been due to a huge thunderstorm and torrential rains.

3 days ago I was pulled in for a Level 2 while going into NM from El Paso, TX.
    I haven't been inspected in a couple years, at any level, but it went fine.
    They were pulling in as many trucks as they could handle, which was 2 at a time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.