Intermittent Squealing Sound, 9200i, 2005 Cummins ISX Engine

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Franklin Thomas, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Franklin Thomas

Franklin Thomas Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2016
    Hello Everyone,
    I am a new member. Thanks for the opportunity to post a question.
    My brother has a 9200i, 2005 Cummins ISX Engine ( International ). It has an intermittent squealing sound. When the problem starts to occur, a faint "bearing like" metallic shrill squeal begins during normal cruise. At this point, acceleration will result in an increasingly loud intensity of the noise. The problem ceases when releasing the throttle. Every time, without fail, when this problem occurs, the voltmeter ceases to indicate it's typical 13.5 V, immediately dropping to 12V. He has changed the main belt , which also drives the alternator as well as the associated belt tensioner. There was no change. His diesel tech changed the charged air cooler. Still, there was no change. Any ideas, suggestions or comments are much appreciated.

Thanks for any help ! My brother & I appreciate your thoughts.

Franklin Thomas

Savannah, Georgia

thomastv@bellsouth.net

912-354-7003

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    Recently had same problems changed main belt no more voltage drop but there is still a sequel.
    When I had the main belt off I also replaced the secondary belt and checked all belt tensioners.

They spun freely but once new belts were installed i still have a squeal but no voltage drops.

That was over 10000 miles ago and it still has the same squeal.:mad::dontknow:

Franklin Thomas Thanks this.
  4. Franklin Thomas

Feb 8, 2016
    Thanks for your reply.

When we solve the problem or have more information accordingly, we will gladly post our findings.

Thanks Again,

Franklin Thomas

taxihacker66 Thanks this.
  5. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    If his tech changed the CAC due to this squeal, stop using him. The truck squeals and voltage drops would lead me to believe it is either a belt (which was changed) or a bearing in the alternator itself. Just where I would start. He should carry a spare belt and alt anyway, IMO. If it is the alt, it will eventually get worse and he'll be able to tell for sure pretty easily. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Lepton1, TripleSix and Franklin Thomas Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Thinking its a belt/alternator issue. Are your pulleys worn? Could be that your alternator pulley is so worn that even a new belt won't grip. Another thing to check would be if your pulleys are correctly aligned IE parallel with each other and not offset.

7. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
  8. Franklin Thomas

Feb 8, 2016
    Thanks for the info

9. Franklin Thomas

Feb 8, 2016
    Hello Again Fellow Members !

My brother & I very much appreciate your responses as you share your valuable knowledge & experiences. We will keep records as we continue through the troubleshooting process. When we find worthy information, we will share the details accordingly.

Thanks Again,
    Franklin Thomas
    Savannah, Ga.

10. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    A/C compressor going wrong maybe?

Franklin Thomas Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.