Intermodal Owner Operator

Discussion in 'JB Hunt' started by Disgruntledriver, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Disgruntledriver

Disgruntledriver Light Load Member

Hello. I'm looking for some advice from the JB hunt Intermodal Owner Operators.

I remember when I did Intermodal for "another company" in Los Angeles for awhile that I would quite often see really nice tractors pulling the JB hunt containers. Not just a few of them either, but a bunch. From what I understand, JB hunt has a lot of owner operators that are home daily, working in big cities like LA, Chicago, New York, etc. Does anyone have any information on this? What's it like, how's it work? Right now I'm in Phoenix, Arizona, but would be more than happy to move over to California and am quite familiar with the LA area. That being said, I've seen some O/O's doing containers here in Phoenix.

My question is this. Is it just as difficult to get on hauling containers if you have your own tractor as it is for company drivers? I've been waiting for a local intermodal position to open up with JB hunt for awhile, anywhere in the SouthWest but it seems very scarce. If I bring my own truck to the table would they sign me right on? I'm sure they have to check your background and all that, but with your own truck is it easier to get on hauling containers?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. noninetofive

noninetofive Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Hiram Ga
    This might not help you but I ran intermodal for JB Hunt in Atlanta. They treated me well, I never had a day that I didn't work. In fact, we had so much freight that other companies had to come help us out. I made good money and was home everyday. I set my start times, and ran as hard or as little as I wanted. I ran regional which was 350 miles of Atlanta. I don't much about out west but I'm sure it's pretty uniform across the country.

Iudi and Disgruntledriver Thank this.
  4. Disgruntledriver

You were an O/O I take it? Do they have to have "O/O's wanted in X area" listed on their website for you to be able to sign on? Or if you check out clean will they pretty much bring a O/O on? Thanks for your reply.

5. noninetofive

Feb 14, 2013
    Hiram Ga
    Sorry it took so long to reply - yes, I was an owner operator with them for almost 3 years. If you check out clean, the will definitely bring you on. The best way to find out if they're hiring in your area is to call recruiting. Sometimes the website is slow to update. Good luck. Hope it helps.

6. Disgruntledriver

No problem, thanks for the reply. If they're not hiring company drivers for local intermodal in a location, is there a chance they would take on a O/O in said location at said time? I have a 15+ speeding ticket and a less than perfect work history, but the recruiter I've kept in contact with has been super nice and said it wouldn't pose a problem with JB hunt. He said the big problem is just that local positions in Phoenix are extremely rare. I was just wondering if I got my own truck if it might would open a door for me.

7. noninetofive

Feb 14, 2013
    Hiram Ga
    They may. In Atlanta, they were hiring o/o for local positions but had a waiting list on the company side. It just depends on their needs. Check with the I/C recruiter for your area. And ask about regional too. It pays better and you're still home everyday.

8. KingG239

KingG239 Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2014
    NEW Jersey

Hey I'm thinking about moving to GA from NY I wanna do the lease p regional with JB but there saying they have no truck.. but how is the regional is as a company driver..

9. noninetofive

Feb 14, 2013
    Hiram Ga
    Need to know what account you're asking about.

10. KingG239

KingG239 Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2014
    NEW Jersey
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.