international T444E Crank no star

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by rshackleford, Feb 4, 2011.

1. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The 244 code problem is between engine and trans and will not cause the engine to quit. The 543 is a code that will cause the Check Engine light to come on and engine may not run. This code is set when the main ecm cannot communicate with the IDM, (injector drive module). You have a 3 box system on your engine. The injector drive module is located above the engine on the firewall, the ecm is located kinda above where the clutch pedal is on the inside of the firewall and has a big connector that connects to it through the firewall at the left side near the fender. The actual code is just saying the ecm cannot get the idm to communicate fault codes. This alone does not cause the engine to quit. If the IDM is loosing power and shuts down there are other codes that get logged in the ECM for loss of signal and other communication break downs with the IDM. Sounds like the IDM is partially working, but not properly firing the injectors. Could be weak voltage supply to the IDM and or corroded wiring. The IDM is powered through at relay. The relay should also be near the IDM itself at the firewall there. The relay is turned on by the ECM. The relay gets it battery power directly from the batteries by a separate ECM/IDM power harness. The IDM should have a 15 amp fuse in the battery box area. See if you can find the harness at the batteries. There should be a couple of fuses in there. Just check for any corrosion or loose wire terminals in the fuse block. Follow the harness as best as possible under the truck and see if it rubbed through anywhere. It will come up the left frame. There should be one or two big connectors along the way, take them apart too and check for corrosion. Follow it up to the relay and check it too for any corrosion, or loose or burnt terminals. Hopefully you find something!

4. lilspud89

lilspud89 Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2011
    williston, ND
    The truck started and ran fine for about 4 hours drove it and then i t just died after i made a corner. i replaced the relays the second time and it started but now with known good relays it does not start. the fuses located in the battery box are good. wiring is in good condition. I talked with a ford guy and he leaned towards the idm module. I have another 7.3 with a idm in a ford would that work in a international. I checked the oil and its full and in good condition. is there a way to check hpop at all.

5. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Sure plug the IDM right in. They all go hand in hand and can be swapped. For the HPOP your best bet would be hooking it up to a scanner and reading the ICP and its duty cycle % that is being called for by the ECM. Your CPS is good though?

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Nothing to do with high pressure oil system. Any faults there cause 333, 335 codes and so on.

7. lilspud89

lilspud89 Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2011
    williston, ND
    Hooked up scan tool to truck no codes pulled with scanner at time. The CPS/CMP sensor has been replaced. The IPR valve has also been replaced. I also swapped FICM/IDM with a known good one and still no start. i monitored the Injection Control Pressure and it was about 20 psi which was lower then what it should be according to the dealer I was wondering about getting what the pressure should be and also if anyone would have a wiring diagram that I could use. All the help offered has been useful and appreciated thanks.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Injection control pressure is 500 to 3000 psi. 20 psi off of spec is nothing and won't cause a no start. You need about 700 psi to start. How are you measuring this? If you are cranking for a long time and no start and the injection control pressure is not building enough you will get a 333 code. If your not getting any codes I would say the ICP is fine. Are you still getting any IDM codes? If not I would say you have a good ol' fashion fuel problem.

9. rshackleford

rshackleford Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2010
    i think he said the pressure was 20 psi period. not 20 psi low.

the pressure was measured using a laptop hooked to the truck and using the trucks sensors.

10. lilspud89

lilspud89 Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2011
    williston, ND
    The last time hooked up to the truck codes sid 154, sid 155, sid 248 were retreived. The scanner had no defenitions. when the vehicle was blink coded the codes were loss of communication with idm, loss of communication with transmission. Gonna trace communication wires down and check for shorts. and it was a max pressure of 21 psi with about 40 sec of cranking

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The 154 and 155 are for intake air temperature signal low and high respectively. 248 isn't listed. Something is screwy here, if you crank for that long only get 21 ICP you should be logging 335 or 333. Is the 21 psi regular base engine oil pressure or Injection Control Pressure? The injection control pressure usually runs between 500 and 3000 psi! You need around 700 psi to start the engine, if you only get 21 this is why your engine is not starting, but it will also log 335 and or 333!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.