Internet access in trucks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by c64basic, May 13, 2013.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    from the looks of things. sprint probably won't be a good idea for a year or two.

i just recently switched back becuase i was tired of paying the extra money and having the worst phone in history with verizon.

i'm 3 days into my 14 day trial.

apparently the wimax thing didn'dt work for them for whatever reason. so now they are trying to play catchup with LTE. meaning who was once the first to have 4g. is now going to be the last with it. everyone is limited to 3g unless they are in the select few cities that are setup with 4g now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Treputt

Treputt Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
  4. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    I tether my laptop to my Sprint Android phone. I have true unlimited data with Sprint and free roaming. The tethering app cost me five bucks.

Most of my music is on memory sticks but I do stream Pandora or I Heart Radio from my phone sometimes.I just plug the audio into the stereo.

5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    How is Sprint for coverage around the country, vinsanity? You running OTR?

6. passport220

passport220 Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Des Moines, IA
    I uses Virgin Moble (Sprint network) Unlimited Data, Web, Messaging, & Email. 300 "anytime minutes. $35 per month. I was paying an extra $15 per month to use my phone as a hotspot, but I found a program (PDANet) that allows me to tether for free so I dropped the hotspot option. I get full speed data up to 2.5 gigs per month, then it is restricted speed after that.

7. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    I used to have a Verizon MIFI card but got rid of it since my phone's mobile hotspot is just as good. If you have a 4G smartphone just upgrade your data package (depending on your carrier, may be unlimited). I steam movies and go online all of the time in my truck. Even pwn some noobs in a game of Counterstrike while sitting at a shipper

8. StayBusyTrucker

StayBusyTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Sprint Samsung Note 2 I use approx 3-5 gigs a week on a wilson cradle for $78 dollars a month thats with my companies discount..

9. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    When I was OTR I tethered my cell to my laptop for casual internet browsing, skype-ing with the wife etc. I did not stream movies or TV so I never racked up a large amount of data usage.

Mikeeee

10. JimmyBones

JimmyBones Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Baxley, GA
    I like the looks of this. I have a mifi hotspot already, might be able to go with the unlimited byod plan. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.