Interview with Saia tomorrow

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by HoustonTrucker, Jul 1, 2015.

1. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Just got off the phone with them, I've got an interview tomorrow at 9am. It sounds promising already, he asked if I had any LTL experience (I don't), and that I haven't ever hauled doubles before. He didn't seem deterred at all, Asked me to bring in my DL, Social Security Card, and DOT Medical card.

He mentioned there was a $5,000 sign on bonus, half at 90 days and half at 120 days.

Hoping it all goes well, I'm desperate to get out of my current job that doesn't pay crap!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Good luck! It's hiring season. They'll train you on doubles etc. They are likely hurting bad. Just don't go in like a dirt bag and the job is yours. Think starting pay is in the .50's cpm. LTL is the way to go.

4. Jron2112

Jron2112 Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Had an interview with them in FL, P&D was starting at 18.45 and 1.5 years you will top out at I think 23 and change if I remember correctly. The guy also told me that Linehaul was pretty much only teams...I passed on it

5. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    How bad is fl that 23 and change is bad? Figure there gonna be in a new contract in 5 years or less, pay raise then... just curious

6. HoustonTrucker

Mar 22, 2015
    I could be wrong but I don't think all of Saias linehaul operation is team. The guy didn't mention teams to me. I hope thats not the case, i don't want to run team. I also want to be home every day. I realize at first I might just run system until a run opens up, but eventually I want to be able to come home every day. Ideal situation is that they will have runs ready to be filled.

7. brtecson

brtecson Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    The new starting wage for linehaul is .54/mile and top pay is .60/mile after 6 months. Top hourly is around $24/hr.

Anyhow, congrats on getting an interview. If you want to run hard and get paid, linehaul at Saia is just the place. Let us know how it goes.

freightwipper Thanks this.
  8. brtecson

brtecson Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    There are a few teams out there, and I'd bet they have them in HST, but you dont have to run teams if you dont want to. Teams get paid an extra .02/mile. Odds are you'd start in the system and you would work your way into a bid, although it is possible to get a bid immediately if there are senior drivers who like to be in the system (like myself:) )

9. bosscityboy19

bosscityboy19 Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2013
    I start orientation tomorrow at the DLS TERMINAL as a P&D driver and the only reason why I chose city is bc I want to be home everday, BUT I keep hearing that out of big terminals like houston and dallas that u rarely stay out, now I'm reconsidering.

10. HoustonTrucker

Mar 22, 2015
    Well thats good to hear as I'll be running out of Houston. Not that I am opposed to staying out until a bid opens up but thatd be pretty nice to walk into a bid starting out.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  11. bosscityboy19

bosscityboy19 Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2013
    I hope you get a bid out there!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.