Is a Blown tire causing truck to leave the roadway and crash into trees a "not at fault accident"

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Catliner, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Catliner

Catliner Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Thompson, GA
    Long story short a few months ago a steer tire blew out on my truck and sent me on the shoulder into some trees. Truck was towed, The State Trooper said he wasn't going to write a ticket because that's something I could not have controlled nor predicted. The crash report states that I blew a tire and lost control. Usxpress was going to lease me on until they saw the accident. now they are requesting a "loss of runs" report and the crash report. will this accident hurt me? I already have another accident on my record for backing into a car (no damage) from a year ago. Just wondering if this is a non preventable in USX eyes because the crash report doesn't say not at fault. Btw I didn't hit anything but a few small trees. no insurance claim.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Hard to say with blown tires. Companies all look at that differently. One company said I drove for said if we hit a deer would never count aganist us. Other company said drop it in a ditch before we hit a deer. That was the safety director. Told him cones to it mr deer is getting blow to smithereenies. He didnt like that too well.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. Old school 362

Old school 362 Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    Better pull your Dac report. It will be on there.

Toomanybikes and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  5. LindaPV

LindaPV Medium Load Member

It's also a DOT reportable if a wrecker had to pull you out. You weren't asked to drug test?

6. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    That'd be a tough one for the office people,
    Did the driver have both hands on the wheel or did he have his foot on the dash, a phone in one hand trying to catch Pikashu and the other hand scratching himself and the other knee against the steering wheel?

LumbraX, bzinger and rachi Thank this.
  7. Catliner

Catliner Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Thompson, GA
    I Had a Dash cam rolling. sent them the video. Its not on my DAC. I took a drug test. the crash report states I was not under the influence and not suspected. camera shows wearing my seatbelt. both hands on the wheel. the Cord in the tire broke.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Unless somebody here is a US Xpress office person I doubt we can answer your question. Regardless, the opinion of law enforcement trumps what a trucking company says. If US Xpress lets you go then you can always go somewhere else. Best of luck driver.

That's crazy that the safety guy told you to wipe out a truck into a ditch rather than hit the deer.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  9. CrappieJunkie

Mar 9, 2014
    Yep. Outside of Memphis rush hour I 40 heading to I55 to drop my load in MS. Im following another truck. Keeping the standard 6 sec distance there is a gator (blown tire tread) mostly in the exit lane. Truck in front of me hits it. Kicks it in my lane. Im in far right lane. Have cars next to me. 3 options. 1) swerve left and take oit cars. 2) put it in a ditch. 3) run over it. Obviously I took option 3. When I did knocked the valve off one of my airlines going to break drums. Breaks locked up but was able to drag trailer to side of the road. Service call comes out fixes fitting. Guy told me fitting cost like $1.

Had to report to company cause I was going to be late and needed service call. Week later same safety guy asks what happens. Review it with him. He tells me its a preventable. Wtf? Aint my fault it was in my lane. Asked him if he wanted me to take out the cars. He says no. I said want me to ditch it. He actually said might be better than the damage I did. Again, wtf? Told him about the fitting being the only damage. He said oh, well still it is a preventable. I was like whatever. Checked my DAC they have that I hit a stationary object.

10. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    That's ridiculous. What company was this? If you don't want to share I understand.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  11. CrappieJunkie

Mar 9, 2014
    I really dont want to share but it was a mega.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.