Is a Blown tire causing truck to leave the roadway and crash into trees a "not at fault accident"

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Catliner, Aug 6, 2016.

1. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT

I had similar happen at a mega, told safety & they asked how much damage & what happened, like you it was just the fitting broke off & I was in single lane construction at the time & a cone spun into me lane from opposite direction.

Had road service out to fix it & when I got back had to see safety, guy in safety said not to worry as it was non preventable & in his opinion was not a accident anyways as it was just road debris.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Catliner

Catliner Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Thompson, GA
    when the tire blew the sidewall kicked up into the Tie rod. I was fighting one tire. I hit the go pedal and the Transmission Upshifted. (Autoshift Tranny) By the time I had it in control I was Being pulled into the trees by the tire that was going right. Couldn't get traction on that florida Grass empty. speed at the time was 60 mph in a 70mph Zone. Right when the truck Jumped over to the shoulder I rode over one of those metal man hole grates. that completely pulled me over into grass. I did not want to hit the brakes until I was about 10 feet off the shoulder. I did not want to hit a tree head on at 40-50mph.

Just because you turn the wheel doesn't mean the truck is going to go the way the wheel is turned. with the front end jumping around there was nothing I could do

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    In all my years, I've never experienced a steer tire blowout, but this baloney that's it's controllable just doesn't cut it with me. Maybe under ideal situations, yes, you can make to the side, but I've heard many stories and seen many trucks in the ditch, with steer tires blown and fenders gone, where for whatever reason, control was lost. And manual steering will literally break your thumbs. Controllable my butt.:biggrin_25512: Aside from looking up and everything is stopped, a steer tire blowout was my biggest fear in driving a semi.

5. audeygdad

audeygdad Light Load Member

May 20, 2016
    Hampton roads,Va.
    Check and see if you have a drivers review board at that company,they will go over the circumstances and decide if it's a preventable or not. Years ago I had a fat### women shoot between my tantums and the curb and I knocked her mirror off,cops came found her at fault and the safety man gave me a preventable,found out later that they had a drivers review board and I coulda took it to them.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Gators are a dozen, Ive hit a dozen of them, avoided quite a few and used the trailer a time or two to save someone from having same land into their windshield.

I kept a box of fittings and valve stems for that reason plus a couple of maxi bolts to back off stuck brake chambers to free the pad from the drum. Nothing that a little time and sweat will cure other than a truckstop shop time and labor to repair permanently.

It's not even a accident. It's something that happens, a road hazard. You plan for it and move on.

IF Motor Carriers are sticking DACs with preventables and other problem violations for simple gators, they deserve to be drained of good drivers. I don't see a problem with the occasional gator. These Office people and safety needs to go out and get laid or something. They have been working too hard.

As far as hitting other cars or the ditch, don't even. Just take the gator and if it bites you fix it and go on.

7. Catliner

Catliner Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Thompson, GA
    Talked to Usxpress and they said it was a preventable. The Recruiter said that a tire failure does not cause any truck to leave its lane and go off the roadway. it was a preventable. wait two years.

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    This thread is beginning to irritate the heck out of me. If this is where we are in the trucking biz, I don't want anything to with this rotten industry.:biggrin_25512: Steer tire blowout preventable, hogwash. My 1st boss was a great guy, taught me a lot and he's probably spinning in his grave if he saw what's become of this industry.

Bean Jr., NavigatorWife and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  9. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I never had a steer tire blow out, but kinda saw it happen. Merging into the interstate and the truck on it decide to move over for me. Then I just saw smoke coming from his passenger steer tire and he slow it down behind me to the shoulder.

But reality it could take the truck flying into the ditch. There's also defected tires that u might not know about. Most company will say non preventable.

201 Thanks this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    See, the problem here, as I see it, is these things happen so rarely now, it MUST be the driver's fault somehow. Years ago, my 1st boss KNEW these things happened. He was from a time where tube tires where the norm, this happened a lot. He told me, IF, and I repeat, IF you don't go in the ditch, try and save the pieces of the hood.

x1Heavy and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.