Is a Blown tire causing truck to leave the roadway and crash into trees a "not at fault accident"

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Catliner, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011

Some bosses don't know much more than the drivers they hire. Simple fact is, a blowout IS controllable IF you do the right thing. Panic and do the wrong thing, and it might be impossible to recover. Improper reaction to a situation sounds like something "preventable" to me...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I'm done here.

4. *Five-0*

*Five-0* Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Hey...I'm over here!
    The trick in a situation like this is to clearly state the object was airborn and landed in your lane just as you arrived at the same location. Hitting an object on the road is looked at as preventable (Assured Clear Distance Ahead), but a flying object? Well, unless you are using your pilot's license, nothing you can do about flying objects.

NavigatorWife and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I was on I-65 going north (headed to Louisville, ky. as I went into the left turn right before you get to the bottom of the big hill going 68 mph my passenger steer blows out..... I tapped off the CC, jakes came on, lite on the brakes set my coffee cup down so I could hold the wheel with 2 hands

201 Thanks this.
  6. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    I imagine most steering tire blow outs are slow loss of pressure from a debris puncture. I wonder if anybody here has ever had a spontaneous violent failure where the tire lost all pressure in less than a second?

7. BigBluePeter

BigBluePeter Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
    I had one gator on me on I-76 near Harrisburg PA right before the first tunnel. Luckily I was heavy and going up hill so was moving at about 35MPH. It blew out on the passenger side and it was like pulling right into a parking spot. zipped right onto the shoulder and no harm done.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I had a steer on my 45' diesel pusher motorhome blow (Freightliner Chassis, 275/70 x 22.5 tire), I didn't see the debris in time. I was amazed how fast it deflated and it really pulled to the drivers side it was longer than a second, but not by much. I was lucky and knew to accelerate first, get control, then slow and pull to the shoulder. I installed a SafeTSteer afterwards, they say it eliminates the pull when it happens. The device does help with staying straight in the lane, I noticed how much easier it was to drive afterwards.

9. Diggler

Diggler Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Jax
    Wish I saw this earlier but I use us xpress lots and have noticed a lot of their steer tires are retreaded. I would never drive a truck without a brand new legit tire on the steers. Just someone thing to look out for in the future, playing a game of chance not really in your favor

10. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Just goes to show.....The mega's are about as dumb as a box of rocks...

They'll do anything to destroy someone else's quality of life, won't they !

NavigatorWife and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  11. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    Running retreads on the steer axle is illegal

rgc2005, Bean Jr., Piecrumbs and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.