Is Double Yellow's thread still up to date?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by OOwannaBE, Sep 25, 2016.

1. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I don't have access to what Landstar loads pay, but I do know that I'll often get a load alert for a load paying something like $3,500 and when I call, they ask "approved carrier or bco." When I say "approved carrier" they'll say "that load pays $2100" and I'll counter that I got an alert for $3500 and they'll say that's only for bco's...

Not every agent is this big of a dick (mostly just those from the 479 area code), but it happens offen enough to tell me that a carrier's 100% rate might not be any better than a bco's 75% -- especially after you factor carrier costs...

OOwannaBE Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OOwannaBE

OOwannaBE Medium Load Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    As a company driver I rarely deal with brokers but the few times I am stuck in the middle of nowhere the dispatcher gives me the number to a broker to set up everything and they have always been really nice. The women are even flirty. One broker lady wanted to Facebook me but I do not use social networks.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Landstar agents can take as much as they want off the top on loads to broker carriers, quite a sore spot with some BCO's because they would rather broker than let company trucks have the loads. The practice has caused some to lose customers, but greed is the American way.

double yellow Thanks this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    They're no good to work with as an outside carrier anymore imo. I haven't booked a load from them in over 2 years. There was a time I thought they were great but we were setting rates like crazy and making good bank. Any of them are good in times like that. They just happened to have the best freight and plenty of it.

6. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    479 is my area.. rates are cheap here.

7. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    He's referring to the largest agent at Landstar. They're out of AR, but their freight is from everywhere.

double yellow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.