Is it legal to posses 2 different Trucking driver licenses

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Aarrons, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Aarrons

Aarrons Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Is there a regulation that prohibit this, If I have a State CDL and a FMCSA approved foreign trucking license would I have a problem or its just written that you cant have 2 different state CDLs.

And how could I take advantage from having a 2 valid trucking licenses

Also the FMCSA approved foreign trucking license that I have only ethnic trucking companies accept it even thou its completely valid and legal.

Im an American citizen born here BTW

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    § 383.21

No person who operates a commercial motor vehicle shall at any time have more than one driver's license.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Absolutely.

One License One Soul One heavy truck.

In the time before 1994 specifically, you could get 48 states worth of drivers licenses back then if you wanted. Hand over the fresh no violations no record clean class a license over to the state bear on your fuel tank. Pick one.

All of that all stop, full stop. Do not pass go. One soul, one license, one truck. It does not matter where you go it's one and one and one.

5. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I like that.

LindaPV and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    How'd you get two, btw? I wanna do that.

7. Chalenger_76

Chalenger_76 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2016
    No problem, next time you get pulled over, let Leo to know you have two of them, he will take care of you.

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

I remember those days. I had 4, Md, Va, Wash DC and Florida. None of them talked or shared information with each other directly back then. A request could be made,.. usually took a few weeks and by then you were long gone.

I actually got a letter in the mail around 1996 or so from Wash DC about 10 yrs worth of unpaid parking tickets. Said my privilege to drive in Wash DC was revoked. I still never paid for them,.. never heard anything else about it. Who knows,.. my privilege to drive there could still be null and void. LOL

It wasnt until after 92 or so when the CDL came out that they started pulling up my licenses from other states. I remember the first time I was asked why I had more than one license and then asked to turn them in.

Hurst

9. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    I had 3, but that was before CDL. (What date would you like on the the fuel receipt sir? Tomorrow, I'm not here yet.)

Way to many cars, way to many trucks, way to many idiots in both the cars and trucks, to play by those rules, in this day and age. But trucking was fun back then.

Your all safe, I'm retired now.

clausland and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I'm pretty sure across the board in North America, a person can only hold a single driver's license.

11. bottomhoppercrew

bottomhoppercrew Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Nope can't have 2. I moved from Nebraska to California for a short time. When there I went to a truck driving school. When I went to get my CDL learners, I also went through a backround check. They issued me a California DL number, but I never had one. Long and short of it is that if I got caught driving in California, they could impound my car and sell it! I could drive in all other 49 states, so I had a friend of mine from HS drive me to Nevada. Got back to Omaha, and thought everything would be okay. Went to another truck driving school. Went to get my CDL learners, and the first thing the guy at the DMV said is "have you ever been to California"? I was like oh ####! The trucking school tried to help me get the thing revoked. I talked to the DMV in cali many times. Kept on telling me different things. Finally I called Sacramento DMV, and said I moved back to nebraska. It was automatically lifted! Yes you can get two DLs, but I sure as hell wouldn't get caught!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.