Is it true about Saia and OD?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by cherishangel, May 1, 2015.

1. cherishangel

cherishangel Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    I was all set to jump to Saia but then an ex-saia driver at my current company says he was P&D for saia in Dallas but refused to go line-haul and eventually quit because they force all Line-haul drivers to work 80 hours a week. They will find things for you to do to reach that 80 and so will OD. .....

I'm a hard worker, with 10 years accident free. I drive refer and deliver groceries regional which is physically demanding but I rarely do more then 65 hours a week. Now I'm reconsidering. I have a family and want a semblance of a life. Is this true? The pay is good but you sacrifice your life for it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. orangepicker

orangepicker Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2011
    florida
    You know i never see Saia or OD taking nap's like ABF...i know if ABF go's in to early they will have you doing someting

4. kimbosa

kimbosa Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2011
    lufkin texas
    Go to fedex freight. They treat you right.

Grouch Thanks this.
  5. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    A driver working 80 hrs a week would bump right up against DOT regs. 60 in 7 days or 70 in 8 days...80 would knock you out of driving legally. I've never heard of any LTL company even trying this--I call BS. :biggrin_25512:

6. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I don't believe they'll work you 80 hrs. Maybe 70hrs. I know OD you can end up working your 14hr. They'll send you on a short turn then you come back for another shorter turn. My buddies do that sometimes. They have Elogs so you won't be illegal.

Texas_hwy_287 and cherishangel Thank this.
  7. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    its 60 hours

8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Guess you haven't heard of my company. They think The HOS laws are just suggestions......Had 78 hrs in 6 days doing food service with a co-driver. One of us is logged in sleeper birth but were both working. Good thing dot in nyc really doesn't mess with us. This guy that covers my partners' sunday run b/c my partner has 2 weekends off a month (lucky sob) gets back at 4-5pm and goes right back out again at midnight. Technically he has the hrs b/c hes in sleeper birth since 6am.

And I thought the days of outlaw trucking were over.....

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    we work for the same company.:biggrin_2551:

But only if you want too. There are some guys who run crazy stuff like that, but me, I'm old, I work my 14 (hahahahahahah, 14, that's funny) and call it good.

cherishangel and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. QualityMike

QualityMike Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    North Dakota
    Work 5 14's, take 34 off and one more 14. 84 hours legally. I have done it many times doing LTL.

buckmanmike and Mike2633 Thank this.
  11. brtecson

brtecson Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    I work for saia in the chicago region. I can tell you with certainty that you will not work 80 hour weeks here. We use "vnomics" electronic logs and it WILL NOT let you work more than 70 hours in a workweek. We are a 5 day operation in the city and a 5 to 6 day operation on linehaul. You may have to work a 6 day workweek if you're on linehaul during a busy stretch and you're low on the totem pole. Also, a lot of linehaul hustlers will take up the weekend work by working until saturday, or starting their workweek on a sunday, so you might be working mon-fri most of the time.

herring22, S M D and cherishangel Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.