Is my Radio Toast?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by hansondhc, Jul 22, 2015.

1. hansondhc

hansondhc Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Moncton, New Brunswick
    Just tried to hook up my radios after they've been in storage for about 10 years. I've got a Cobra 25 NW ST and a 29 NW WX ST. Using a Telex RK56 Mic and tried with both a Lil Wil antenna and a Cobra HGA1500. After tuning both antennas with both radios I keep getting the same problem. SWR setup is good, but after calibration when I switch back to S/RF and dead key my SWR meter goes straight into the red. Did storage kill the transmitters or am I missing something with the antenna setup?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    If your meter goes to the red then your radios must be sending a signal out. Have the radios been worked on in the past? Do you smell anything that would indicate overheating in the radios? See any smoke or hear pops when you first turned them on?

4. hansondhc

hansondhc Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Moncton, New Brunswick
    The radios have never been opened up. Both bought new and used for a year or two before going into storage. No smoke, pops or overheating that I've noticed either. Also, both receive just fine, it's only transmitting that is an issue. I can hear but cannot be heard.

5. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    I have had microphones go bad from sitting according to cb shop I took them to. I would be more inclined to see if you can work with some one in your area. Since you have 2 antennas and 2 radios perhaps you and a friend could operate in 2 vehicles about a mile apart just to see if there is audio from either radio since you say you can receive on both. Many drivers now seem to run sans radio. Radio saved me from 2 backups yesterday. 1 in WV on 81 and 1 on 95 in VA. In both cases 11 and 1 respectively were very light traffic.

6. hansondhc

hansondhc Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Moncton, New Brunswick
    I've had someone else mention the Mic could be my issue since that was in storage with the radios as well. Going to try a new Mic for troubleshooting and if not see if I can get hold of a buddy to test the radios with each other. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.