Is Peterbilt today just hype?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Brucesmith, May 16, 2015.

1. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    For decades truckers have been touting Peterbilts as better bilt and holding their values. I wonder if that is just an urban legend in today's world? I was comparing prices for Cascadias, Volvos , Petes and Kenworths. Of course I was just doing this online and seeing the trucks can make a difference. It seems that dealers price the units by year, mileage and maybe specs and options. They were all priced within a few thousand dollars of each other. I tried 2010's,2011,s and 2012's. So my question is are they built better? Where? Certainly not the Pacaar engine! Do they hold their value more than others?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    [​IMG]
    Well, if Buzz says so.....

bigred81 Thanks this.
  4. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    If you want to sell one, you only need to find one person who believes that and then it's true.

mhyn, Ssand Man, UKJ and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. JMichael

JMichael Light Load Member

May 16, 2015
    Back when they had four and a quarter cats and 18 double overs and you could run them @ 110 across west Texas now Cats in China and Petes are " aerodynamic "

T_TRUCKER. Thanks this.
  6. pete1

pete1 Heavy Load Member

Don't ever ever ever ever ever ever buy a Volvo. I don't know if anything is better than anything else when there is a DEF system on everything new, making all of it junk, but volvox are the biggest pile of plastic garbage in the entire universe. They just fall apart.

12 ga Thanks this.
  7. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I don't know too much, but here's what my experience has shown me. To me, they (Peterbilts) are way overrated. We have a few in our fleet, along with a few Freightliner Classics, and now a couple Western Star 4900ex's.

Doing mostly local work, climbing in and out of the truck multiple times a day, the Freightliners have held up really well, and are really driver friendly. Same goes for the Western Stars.

The Peterbilts, which are 379's, have been the most troublesome. They all are 2000 or 2001 models. As I've said, doing mostly local work, where climbing in and out of the cab multiple times a day, the doors take a beating, and the Pete's have not fared too well. Every year, the doors need torn apart and rebuilt.

As far as inside the truck, the Pete's are generally well built, and after nearly a million miles, they're still pretty tight with few rattles. But the lack of tilt steering, and the overall small cab,
    makes me despise them. I'd take a Star overt them all.

The new models Petes? Just an overpriced Volvo in my opinion. If you want a truly well built truck, a W900 or a Western Star 4900 is the way to go.

mhyn, 12 ga and pete1 Thank this.
  8. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Look at the prices of the same year trucks of different brands and then ask, why do the others always compare themselves to KW/Pete.

Tall Mike and 12 ga Thank this.
  9. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    It's so they know what scrap metal pays:D

10. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    shotyme: I am having trouble understanding your post. Do you mean that when new the Pete's are more expensive than an equivalent FL? I really don't see a big difference in the values of used trucks. Almost like dealers look only at miles, equipment and condition. Make does not seem to matter. Unless it is a MaxForce!

11. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Go look at a say, 2005 Pete 379 and a 2005 Freightliner, with the same shape and mileage and see what the prices are.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.