is the oilfield (frac sand) good option to go right now?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by chuy, Apr 5, 2016.

1. bluerhino

bluerhino Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2013

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bluerhino

bluerhino Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Hi everyone need your help where to buy used blower for frac sand at a reasonable price.thanks

4. TahoeTrucker

TahoeTrucker Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Definitely not a good time. I just left the oil field.

5. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    No, Right now, you can make more money flipping burgers or working at Walmart. I seriously mean that.
    Many of the sand hauling company's are starving for work out here.

6. JWilliam

JWilliam Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    North America
    I'm in Midland and have been seeing a lot of sand haulers, I've heard making anywhere from $800 to $1600 weekly as a company driver. But I don't trust those numbers. The lower end seems like it makes more sense. They are not paying you to wait anymore. You just sit in the desert and wait. But hey...

Honestly, I wouldn't mess with it. Those who are already out here should get whatever work they can get. Folks are starving.

7. FSLog

FSLog Bobtail Member

May 10, 2016
    Texas
    GBZ....I am not able to PM you since I am a new member. Can you PM me about cement

8. FSLog

FSLog Bobtail Member

May 10, 2016
    Texas

9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I THOUGHT my bread tasted a bit "off" lately...

I got into running flatbed to the oil patch this time last year. Bad timing. Rates and volume have suffered. If you are in a position to keep the wheels turning with an option to get loads off load boards (likely easier with a flatbed than a bulk hauler), then you might be able to do alright.

Last year there were about 1000 active rigs in the continental US. It's below 400 now. While oil prices are starting to pick up, it will be at least a year before that trickles down to more rig starts.

10. DirtyDog808

DirtyDog808 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Abilene,Tx
    Yeah I am in the Odessa area now hauling Cement but it has slowed down for me.Gonna look at purchasing a Dry Van to keep the wheel turning until rates get a little better

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Most of the crap I haul goes into dog food or some sort of meal. There's a couple load boards with loads on them for bulk guys couple good ones actually problem is there ain't much money in it right now. Rates are cheap...when I say cheap I mean cheap average truck tare weight with a tandem (depnding on the trailer) is between 28 and 30 which gives a max of 52k. There's a load right now I seen and laughed it was .37/bu for 257 miles. I don't know what the commodity was if it was corn it'd pay better than beans, but who knows still way to cheap, on a corn rate at 52k it figures out to 343, on beans or wheat it figures to, $320 that's just for the 257 miles not including bounce on either end. No thanks I'll just give the bank a call and tell them to come get a truck and trailer.

Even my regular customers have cut the rates back flat out ridiculous. I called on some beans going 103 hub miles yesterday. it was for ADM you know huge mulit billion dollar company. They were listed on the board at .25/bu (I didn't pull the load from the board originally I caught wind of it from the elevator that sold them as I do a lot of business with them.) This guy actually informed me they wanted them moved for .20/bu but could go .25/bu. I just started laughing. I said the min I'd even turn the key for is .38 which is shooting myself in the foot but I need some steady work before wheat harvest, they weren't ready to come up that high on the rate but would "keep my number in case" Today is the 18th they have till the 31st to get 100 loads out, not going to happen. if/when they call me back they're really not going to like the rate I said it may change depends on fuel prices etc. IF they call me back .38 just went to .50/bu I don't play games and I don't find it amusing that a multi billion dollar company wants it moved for nothing. IF they could afford to buy $800k+ worth of beans they can also afford to pay a truck a decent rate to haul it. But what do I know I'm just a grain hauler.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.