is the oilfield (frac sand) good option to go right now?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by chuy, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    ####! Barely breaking a buck a mile at those rates.

Most of my loads are dispatched from ACME. But sometimes I have a long haul with no backhaul and try to find my own. Other times if my number on the board is pretty high and I figure it's going to be a while before ACME will get a load for me I've started getting my own loads to generate some kind of revenue for the truck owner and income for myself. I won't move the truck without at least $1.50 a mile and some broker loads have been over $2.00. That's flatbed. Didn't realize bulk was REALLY hurtin' like that.

DirtyDog808 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    My appologies it's listed miles was 237 so that was my mistake. Yep ever since fuel price dropped everybody thinks we can run these trucks for nothing. It's insane right now. The best part of that load is it's going down to catoosa ok last I knew the going rate for a hopper out of catoosa was horrible I used to get paid 42/ton out of catoosa last I was offered was 24/ton. so it pays about as bad I believe catoosa to aurora NE is about 440 miles according to google maps. figure 26 tons tops on a tandem legally and you're getting paid penuts to run more miles than carter has pills.

Yea it's funny all the people offering these rates are companies that have more in the bank right now than I'll probably earn in my working life.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    Sounds just as bad or worse than dry van rates. I've been averaging around $1.30/mi since March.

5. Jazzy J

Jazzy J Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2015
    georgia
    The Saudis are determined to put those fraction drillers out of business.

6. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I feel fortunate in my situation. Averaging $2.45 for all miles, including 34% deadhead. I get paid 25% TTT and use load boards as necessary to reduce deadhead or in case things get REAL slow. Still better than most OTR gigs.

7. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Between the frac haulers coming in, farmers trying to keep a hired hand busy and all the young kids thinking trucking is wonderful the rates have gone to #### this year. In the Midwest there hasn't ever been money in long haul grain all short work if you want to turn a dime. Now even the short stuff is going downhill.

It's to the point where were all marking trucks. I get paid 16/bu on corn figures to 175 roughly to go 60 miles we use it as something to do for a rainy day. One company came in sent 6 trucks up there for .09/bu. And took about 30 loads out of the usual 50 they have each month I went balistic needless to say.

I'd better not see those trucks after dark either. In my area if you're found cutting rates it's nothing to come back to a truck that's had all the air lines cut at every axle. At $40/line you can lose a good chunk of change quickly over cutting rates. We have plenty of work to do but nobody wants to pay for it since everybody is hauling cheap.

A lot has changed I used to have a few elevators I could haul out of 24/7 I knew how to run the scale and which bins to load from. I could come in after hours load and go got around dot and the gross weight limit. Customer got more moved that way, I made a little more per mile, and everybody won can't do that anymore too many guys stealing grain. And sadly most of the time it goes unnoticed it's like the cow industry it's about as crooked as the judges down in Georgia (Reba reference).

Sad industry to say the least world has changed for the worse and I'd love to see trucking go back to being regulated to be honest.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. brank

brank Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Earth
    Sounds like you may be condoning criminal activity. Maybe it's time for you to take a break from the industry.

9. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Cutting air lines is one thing, but cutting rates to below operating costs is also a crime IMHO. I don't condone cutting air lines, but certainly understand the motivation behind it.

Seems to me that bulk haulers are stuck. Pulling a flatbed it seems like I have more options for alternative freight when the oil patch is slow. I'm thankful for that.

10. bbt_387

bbt_387 Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2016
    San Antonio TX
  11. bbt_387

bbt_387 Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2016
    San Antonio TX
    I think i mestup. But you get the point.
    That's with mencar llc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.