Is there or could there be a section for directions?

Discussion in 'Truck Forum Information Center' started by Dark_Majesty_06, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Dark_Majesty_06

Dark_Majesty_06 Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    I had posted yesterday to ask for a specific route to somewhere and it made me wonder.. Is there a section specifically for people to ask " what's the fastest or best way to ABC from xyz"? If not, could it be considered? I would think that would be a busy section and could be very very helpful!

d o g Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
  4. d o g

d o g Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Texas
    Experienced Truckers' Advice is the place to get answers from drivers that have been doing this for years and that have been almost everywhere imaginable. That's the forum that I would go to if I needed directions to a specific town or city.

We'll take a further look at it and see if it's something that could justify a sub-forum, but at this time, I'm not sure that it would be an improvement. We already have directions threads in that forum. We have directions to some different shippers/receivers in the Shippers & Receivers Forum. Additionally, many of the company forums also have directions threads for some of the regular destinations for those companies.

It seems to me that all of those are working nicely, as is, and I'm really not sure that we can improve on that. This could be a case in which trying to keep everything more organized could turn out to be counterproductive and become more confusing.

We'll take a look at it, though, because it certainly deserves more thought. Thanks for the suggestion!

5. Lowa3468

Lowa3468 Heavy Load Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Portland, Or
    Here you want some directions, take it and shove it right up your wazoo....

oops....sorry, was venting a little and those probably weren't the actual directions you were looking for....but I am sure someone was looking for directions like this.....

lmao....you make a good point....but if you posting the night before for directions and best way to go, and don't get an answer right away then really you would be getting the directions after the fact for maybe next time...and how would someone be able to seperate from point a...to point b for a different point a...to point b... because lets face it not everyone uses the same wordage when making threads as it is.....

Dark_Majesty_06 Thanks this.
  6. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Something else to flag for you...........

7. Dark_Majesty_06

Dark_Majesty_06 Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    I think your right d o g. I was just hoping to help out. I usually post my routing questions in experienced drivers section but figured we would lump them all together but I completely understand how it's set up! Thanks for your time and efforts!

d o g and Admin Thank this.
  8. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    If I may add my .02.....
    In the above post for example... there are three forums mentioned. In the post previous to this one was another forum listed. That's four places that people could post directions.

If the op is looking for directions that's already been posted or covered, he'd have to run all over the site & still may not find his answer, while the answer is here.... but where? I could see a benefit to having a sub topic forum for people to post or look for directions, before posting more threads on a subject that's already been asked/covered & discussed. I think it would be easier to look for, search & find directions to a specific place or general route etc, if it were in one sub-forum. At least the op would know where to initially head to & look for directions that, may not be specific for him, but general enough he wouldn't have to start another thread & wait for answers. But, if he does need to make a thread for directions, the next person needing those directions with at least have an idea of where to start looking & find the answers he needs.

Hope this helps...

9. Admin

Admin TTR Forum Owner Staff Member Administrator

Apr 6, 2009
    Forum software is not well suited to organizing a database of directions, unfortunately. There are far too many possible start/end points to browse through a list of threads to find the one that applies to your current situation. The search tool on the site is also not suited to finding addresses, only keywords.

In my opinion, implementing a tool that would work in the way you want it to work would require custom software development that would likely run into the tens of thousands of dollars to build. The alternative is posting routing questions in one of the three subforums previously mentioned, which seems to work for the majority of situations and costs nothing.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.