Is this Holland 5th wheel open?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by wr2001, Sep 27, 2016.

1. wr2001

wr2001 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Got this 5th wheel super cheap now I'm wondering if its open. The arm is pulled all the way out so in that regards its open but before I hook up I'd like to make sure. The 5th wheel on my Cascadia is clear with no hook in the way like this Holland 5th...[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Get a hammer and open it

4. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Just by looking at it the kingpin should hit that first catch sticking out and the latch that's slightly hidden will rotate around and lock in place

Just my guess

AModelCat and wr2001 Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's a hook. That hook should rotate and be driven by a spring to lock into place.

Grab a lead pipe a 6 footer or more. Jam it into that thing and see if it will lock. BE READY to let that #### pipe go... it will try to kill you and anyone and everyone near. DON'T stand on top of that stupid wheel and do that pipe vertically. It will whip and throw you a hundred yards. Do it from the back... Like a trailer does.

That is a huge amount of grease. You need it in three locations, either side of the hole just ahead of the angle plates to the rear and a dab in front of the hole.

Another test to see if it's a bad hook, grab a loaded trailer take off with it onto the road. If that fifth wheel slops back and forth like a loose ... it's needing work.

wr2001 Thanks this.
  6. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    No not open, take a crowbar and push the locking piece back over to the side and it should be ready to latch around a trailer's kingpin. Had this happen a few times.

wr2001 Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I would take a stab at it and say it is unlocked. If that piece you see across the throat of the 5th wheel is the lock jaw, it probably needs a rebuild because it looks pretty f'd up IMO.

wr2001 Thanks this.
  8. wr2001

wr2001 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for the input guys. I found out it was open through a youtube video.
    [​IMG]

9. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    On a SAF-Holland Fifth Wheel, to determine if it is Locked or Open, you need to look at the Front Adjustment Bolt for the Jaws on the front leading edge of the Fifth Wheel.

If the Adjustment Bolt is sticking out and the Rubber Washer is not flush with the front face of the Fifth Wheel, it's Unlocked.

If the Rubber Washer and Adjustment Bolt is tight against the front face of the Fifth Wheel, it's Locked.

SAF-Holland purposely designed it that way so all you need to do is take a glance at it to determine its status.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.