Is This Your First Company?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Goodykos, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Goodykos

Goodykos Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I have only been driving for a little over three years now, so not sure if I am considered a "seasoned" driver, but I know how it felt when I was fresh out of my trainer's truck and then into my own truck. It was an old beat down International ProStar. I didn't care about what was wrong with the truck, all I cared about is that I was going to live the dream. I was going to make money, lots of it and be home every week. I was going to be the best trucker ever, never get into an accident, my company will give me all the good loads and I would be happy all the time.
    That was until reality set in. I was in way over my head, at least I thought at the time. In fact, my first load, I was afraid. My trainer didn't show me how to read a map, and I arrogantly thought I could navigate with just looking at it and not really paying attention to any of the details. I got lost a lot in the first couple weeks. I should have done better studying my map, planning my trips and knowing my route.
    The straw that broke the camel's back, sort of speak was when I was in Chicago, I took the wrong highway and had to turn around. I ducked off an exit and tried to find a way back to the highway. However, all the overpasses that I had to go under to get back to the road with the entrance ramp to the highway going to opposite direction were all low bridges. I didn't want to go under them in fear that I would get stuck and lose my job. Instead, I called the police and was helped to get turned around. I finished my route and was called into safety when I got back.
    Safety told me that they noticed that I was struggling. I got lost a lot and said that I had a choice, either I go to another account, or I go back through training. I chose training. At this time, I was on a Wal-Mart dedicated account and there was a trainer on that account. I went with him for a couple weeks. He set me straight. I learned to read a map and use that with the directions my company gave me. They put me into an almost new 2011 Kenworth T660 and I loved it.
    Today, I am still trucking. I am on a home every day route going from Indianapolis, Indiana to East St. Louis, Illinois and soon I will be changing companies. Right now, I am still with my first company which is Werner Enterprises and will be working at a small outfit that does contractor work for Fed Ex.
    So, my advice to you new truckers that are fresh off the trainer's truck, about to get onto your trainer's truck, still in driving school or thinking of getting into trucking, don't burn your bridges. The first company that you get with may not be that great and I understand, Werner is a big company and I feel that they do some things that are kind of stupid, mean or just down right thoughtless, but all in all, it's not the people all the way up top that gave me a second chance, it was the people who put their necks out for me down below, just a few steps ahead of me. They could have easily sent me on my way back to the unemployment line waiting for another company to pick me up, but they didn't. You got to stick it out. It may be bad at first, but once you learn about the ins and outs of the company, you will learn to gauge what they may do next. Also, be respectful to your dispatcher and fleet managers. They are the ones who give you your loads and ticking them off means shorter loads and they will be too few and far between. Don't be Billy Big Rigger who says they always tell their dispatcher off. Don't let what he says intimidate you into doing it yourself, because he is a "veteran" trucker. No, he's just an ####### with a mouth bigger than his peanut sized brains. I'm not saying that you won't have times when you and your dispatcher gets into arguments, but always resolve them peacefully without cutting words. Know where you stand and if need be, talk to someone over him or driver relations or safety.
    Now that is said, never do anything a dispatcher says that you don't feel comfortable doing. If it is blowing seventy mile an hour winds outside, and you don't feel safe, don't go. If your dispatcher says do it and gives you an attitude, just let it go. Call safety and let them know. A load is not worth your life, or someone else's. That also goes for snow and ice. I have a saying that if the school busses aren't running, neither am I.
    Listen to the Weather Band radio either on your CB or stereo. This will help you make better decisions when you're driving.
    And the part about not burning your bridges; when you are ready to change companies, you have a few years under your belt and you feel like it is your time to leave, put in a two weeks notice. Don't just quit all out. Heck, even if you are fed up with your company and do not want to work there anymore, don't just quit. Just let them know that this isn't working out and put in a two weeks notice. It is better if you have another job lined up, but that is just my preference. Putting a two week's notice in at any job is not only common courtesy, but lets other companies know that you won't just jump ship at the first sight of trouble. You are more likely to get into a better position by do that. Also, never, never, never, never and I mean never for any circumstances abandon your equipment because you are angry with your company and you just want to quit. That is a great way to never get into a good company, or even any company again.
    Now in closing, I just want to let you know that don't be afraid to ask questions. If you are on this website, truckersreport.com, you are in good hands. This place has a good amount of help from other drivers, whom have better experience than I do and has practice tests all from tanker, doubles and triples and hazmat. These are great tools to use. This place also has news for you to look up to find the latest in CSA law changes. So don't be afraid to ask. Even when you're at a truck stop, don't be afraid to ask another driver for tips. If they are a good person and not a snobby super trucker, they will be more than happy to help. Don't let the super trucker, Billy Big Rigger, CB Rambo get to you. They haven't gotten past the stage of puberty and probably never will, but you will. Just be safe out there and remember to buckle up.

91B20H8, TruckDuo, JMurphy1 and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Good post... thanks... it is refreshing to see someone stick with the same company for their first year or two... the trend today seems 3 months here, 4 months there, 3 months with current and looking to jump again...

I got my feet wet witn Wener as well... was with them for 18 months... I only just recently quit... two week notice and eligible for rehire...

Now I have a local gig pulling HazMat Tanker...

TruckDuo and Goodykos Thank this.
  4. JMurphy1

JMurphy1 Light Load Member

May 3, 2015
    CT
    Goodykos,

Great post. A helpful reminder to me, whom is realizing after a year, my first choice may not have been the best one for me. I was thinking just the other day that sticking it out at least one more year might be better than flying off half-####ed though. I have so much still to learn, techniques to fine-tune, mistakes to learn from.

Thanks for a thoughtful post, stay safe!

TruckDuo and BrenYoda883 Thank this.
  5. BrenYoda883

Sep 18, 2013
    JMurphy... that is the right attitude to have... the problem with us rookies... is, we dont know what we don't know.. and so we think that in just a few months we are just as good as the experienced drivers... we can pick up a load, deliver it safely... back in with only a pull up or two.. so we are experienced...

I know that if I could go back to run my first 30 loads with all that I have learned since.. I wojld run the mkre effeciently and effectively than I did back then...

I am much better now at being able to survey a shippers and receivers and pull in, park and check in without being in everyone else way.. or have to spin on my tandems when the assign me a dock...

in the beginning.. I was just happy I found the place and would pull in and park wherever and ask another driver where to check in at... not realizing that I was in the way... I see new divers.. or inconsiderate drivers do that and I remember when I did t know better...

what I did with my time at werner.. was always strive to improve my skills... be more efficient with my time, with fuel... I learned all that I could and just kept striving to be better...

this Tanker gig I got gave me quite the road test.. it was harder than the DMV road test, or any road test I had ever taken... they had me back into a tight dock from different angles... had me back from the entry gate, past the scale, around the empty tanker then around to the back... then they
    Tested me on my shifting... he even pulled it out of gear a few times to make sure I could get it back in gear without comingto a stop and wwithout grinding... Fortunately the O/O I first drove for use to do the same thing to me.. so I had plenty of practice at it...

the thing is... use the mega for all the practice you can get... try differnt accounts... find what you like and excel at... then, start looking for companies that fit you....

dont burn any bridges, so you can always go back if your move to a differnt company doesnt work.... too many drivers burn bridges, then when it doesnt work at the next company theh are scrambling for anything....

just like trip planning is important.. so is career planning.. and sometimes it means staying where you are until you have the time in to make a good productive move...

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  6. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    When I was trained the driver trainers all felt that you represented them and it was their name on the line. This was before schools were in place and there was no set training program. When you screwed up the other drivers would always say " Who trained that guy". I believe you got the best training then but it was a different world then and truck drivers were known as knights of the highway. It's a shame it couldn't be that way now. But with all the crime and deviant behavior nowadays you just can not stick your neck out to help anyone like before.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  7. BrenYoda883

Sep 18, 2013
    I agree with you GasHauler to a degree... we need to stop making so excuses and always blaming the training... Most of what make me a good driver today was not taught to me by any trainer... it is having personal ethics and integrity...

There are always going to be things you encounter that was not covered in training... that goes from when you are fresh off the trainer truck.. to years and miles down the road... you have to want to do your best.. and do whats right... and you have to use common sense... utilize what you can to get the information you need...

you also need to have your own personal pride.. be clean.. be neat... nothing says unprofessional like a sloppy appearance... I use to jog on my breaks and reset.. so yes, sometimes I would wear sweats.. but.. they were company sweats, the were clean and fit properly.. I didnt look sloppy...

I have met some great drivers who had no training or poor training... and I have also met some bad drivers who had great training...

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  8. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Excellent post ! Thank you for sharing what you've learned. :biggrin_25514:

9. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    For me September will be the start of year 4, same company. Other than havin a jacked up trailer here or there i don't have any complaints.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.