ISX Cummins Head Gasket Fault at 550,000 Miles.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 4320Diesel, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Dankenworth

Dankenworth Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Will keep you posted on head gasket repair and costs, How do you guys make any money in this bussiness, My son and I have been hauling produced oil and water for 4-1/2 years and are just breaking even, Repairs and upkeep are a killer, Also fuel costs have risen approx. $2,000.00/month in last year

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 4320Diesel

4320Diesel Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Grenfell, Saskatchewan
    dont ignore a large headgasket oil leak. my 5.9 B series cummins has a little oil weepage on the drivers side (pushrod side) and im not excited over it, but when an oil leak gets so bad as to keep the block clean or with a huge wad of grease on it (and its not a screamin jimmy) it should be fixed. because usually if a headgasket is leaking like that there, its going to start leaking somewhere else in short order. and i dont know about you guys, but id rather have my mains and rod bearings and turbo lubed by good slippery oil not hot antifreeze...

4. Minder Kat

Minder Kat Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Brush, CO
    I have a 2009 Peterbilt. It ran hot and used coolant at 515000 miles. Diagnostics: Internally failed head. Had that replaced under NTP aftermarket warranty at Rush Peterbilt in Greeley and they replaced it with another failed head. (At least I was able to drive from Greeley to Rock Springs, WY) Downtime = 3 weeks and counting! I think Cummins ISX is a failed piece of engineering. :biggrin_25519:

5. Freightlinerbob

Freightlinerbob Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2012
    West Coast B.C.
    Yea but you couldn't do the cam without taking the rad off....

6. Big Kuntry2015

Big Kuntry2015 Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2015
    I have a 05 isx and just blowed a head gasket and have had it fix and was going down the road and my truck just shut off..Any idea what it might be

7. Minder Kat

Jul 4, 2012
    Brush, CO
    You are a little thin on the details. Your ISX ECM will shut your engine off prematurely to prevent damage to the engine. And do yourself a favor, buy a ScanGauge D for $250.00, it'll give you the code, and then you can at least get the general gist of what the ECM wants or does'nt.

What does your last service's oil analysis tell you? Coolant? Iron? Copper?

8. Minder Kat

Jul 4, 2012
    Brush, CO

9. Minder Kat

Jul 4, 2012
    Brush, CO
    To update my own post: Peterbilt of Wyoming in Rock Springs, WY ( Cummins Certified folks, remember) replaced the new head with a new head, and everything that goes with it as per Cummins specs. And they had to machine the liner seats due to block fretting & liner protrusion.

But 10 000 miles later the head came apart due to using the WRONG torque specs. A couple of hours of diagnostics at Cummins in Salt Lake City and them refusing to correct the "mistakey" from the previous technician in Rock Springs and we ended up towing the truck back to Rock Springs, WY. And the very good folks at Peterbilt of Wyoming in Rock Springs, WY replaced the head, and rocker assembly. Again. At their cost, mostly. And it took them 135 days to do this.....

But the very good folks at Peterbilt of Wyoming in Rock Springs, WY forgot to remove the shipping plugs from the new head when they mounted it. And those plugs ended up in the oil rail, plugging up the no 6 oil sprayer, designed to keep the piston cool. Which it didn't. And scored the piston and liner in spectacular fashion. Once again I limped the fancy Peterbilt back to very good folks at Peterbilt of Wyoming in Rock Springs, WY, where they yanked the motor, had it cooked in oil in Salt Lake City and put all the #### back together.

But I still had coolant leaks and the EGR codes were constantly coming on. So I had the EGR blocked off, installed an old school turbo, deleted the DPF. That fixed most all of the codes, forever.

I did have another breakdown, the no 1 injector got blocked, 7 of the 8 holes were shut. No computer can detect that. The constant force of the diesel through just the one hole sliced a hole in the piston, like a waterjet.

Cost of repair and maintenace, including the EGR & DPF delete and the new turbo, over the past 18 months = $74 000.00.

Awesome.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Some people should just not be allowed near a wrench.

Minder Kat Thanks this.
  11. Big Kuntry2015

Big Kuntry2015 Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2015
    The truck shut off without any signs or warning lights...I had computer put on my truck but the guy says he couldn't find anything...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.