ISX Cummins Head Gasket Fault at 550,000 Miles.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 4320Diesel, Jan 19, 2011.

1. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Hard to tell what it could be with out looking at it. First make sure the power and ground to the ECM are in good shape.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Kuntry2015

Big Kuntry2015 Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2015
    The truck also turn over really fast like it wants to crank but sounds like it doesn't have enough compression to crank

4. Minder Kat

Minder Kat Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Brush, CO
    "The guy" may or may not be operating at full mental capacity then. I suggest you get a different guy.

But all acid on the side, no info from the ECM?? This sounds like the engine harness is not properly hooked up, or damaged, or came loose in some mysterious way. But then, a bad earth connection from the battery will give you the same issue, and not show up on any diagnostics.
    • That'll be a good thing to check, take off the negative wire from your battery, clean properly on both ends and put it back in. That means at least 4 places to clean and a couple of bolts to correctly tighten.
    • Then check all the fuses, inside and out. (you know how to do that right? It's easy to get this wrong and have a $20.00 fix turn into a nightmare, because you don't get it right.)
    • Then all the relays under the hood. check the fuses IN your battery box, those 300A ones goes to #### very easily. (full load test necessary, no corrosion on the ends, trust me on this one.) The little ones too, some ISX ECM's draw directly from the battery box, especially the older ones, hence the red wire from your engine harness to the battery. Make sure all the bolts are nice and tight, don't be afraid to use WD40/ electrical spray liberally as you go).
    • Your truck should display all gauges correctly, swing with no trouble and no codes on the instrument panel.
    • Is your ECM hooked up correctly? Are you sure? Can you read engine data? Does your computer guy know what he's doing?
    If at this point all electrical checks out and it swings but would not start, then the next thing may be starvation.
    • What's the ambient temperature where your truck is? You absolutely know that it's not gelling, starvation due to cold is out of the question?
    • Check air. EGR valves stuck in the fully closed or fully open position are mysteries of their own. A rag (or other obstruction) in the air intake/ filter, manifold? Your ECM should give a code for any of that via the IMAP sensor.
    • Swinging but no start? Check fuel. Your fuel filter and hoses may be blocked. You probably have two fuel filters, one inside the frame and then the water separator. Water in the fuel? Is your water trap void of water and debris? But your ECM should give a code for low fuel pressure sensor, so check the previous paragraph. Those tanks are clean? Sure? I have seen where dirty filter sets turn $80.00 fixes into $5000.00 solutions at your local Peterbilt dealer.......

After you have done the above steps, most everything else is being seen by the ECM. If at this point you still don't know what's going on, it's time to get one of those $130.00 per hour dudes to speak their mind.There's still the following, but it's probably above your paygrade , hence the $130.00 per hour dudes:

• Are the cams set up/ adjusted correctly. Even Cummins techs have screwed this up before, although they'll insist it can't be screwed up....( at this point, we assume that the motor has been running until very recently and quit on it's own, so the steps listed here probably doesn't apply here)
    • How about that clock? Is everything good there? Can you tell?
    • You are 100% that it's not electrical or starvation? Because if it is, you're not paying attention......and you are sure the fuel cutoff solenoid isn't t playing tricks on you?
    • Those pesky injectors. Are you sure about them?
    • ISX injector rail and timing rail. Two sets, at that. Are we sure they're not messing with us? Can you tell?

Good luck, you are probably going to need it. Let us know what it was!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  5. Enayat

Enayat Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Hey there ,
    I am buying a Volvo with commins Engin.
    2010 68xxxx mills. It has an oil leak between Engin and trans , this is my first truck and I don't know if I can fix that oil leak by spending a little money!
    What do u guys think ? Should I buy it ?

6. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    No, don't buy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.