Isx fuel prime sound before starting?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by gokiddogo, Jul 24, 2016.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Looking at buying a truck. Has a cummins isx 500/1850 I believe 2015 motor. At key on but not started, there is a sound, sounds like a fuel pump, and can feel on the large fuel filter something is running... is this normal for these new motors? The sound does not stop unless key off or start it (then can't hear anyway). After key off I can hear what sounds like fuel or maybe def flowing back to the tanks. Normal?

Also, inside, after shutdown the truck beeps. Not the same dull beep as before startup but the higher pitched beep. No warnings in dash. Lights off key out door shut. Parking brake on. It goes on for about 2 minutes then stops. No obvious reason why it's doing that.

Found this truck and looking for reasons not to buy it. It is time to upgrade.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Electric fuel pump great for priming filters it's a normal sound

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  4. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    So the flush back I am hearing would also be normal?

5. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    It has electric lift pump,supposedly it's for faster starts.
    Check out rawze.com for info on isx.
    They speak of the mandate over there,I would recommend doing away with mandate

6. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You talking about the emissions systems? I'd like them to work. I am more confident in today's products than the debacle that cat put out and I was a lucky owner of one. I am not an idler and from all accounts that is what causes a lot of problems.

I am at the point where I either spend 40 grand to keep my old pre egr truck or get something new with emissions. I am having a very difficult time justifying spending that kind of money into a 16 year old FL that really should only be doing local work as it is. I have figured a way to make money in the CA market. NJ and NY (I do a lot there) are talking about same regs as CARB. In my home province ON they have the drive clean test (not a problem) however we seem to do everything in lockstep with CA so it probably isn't long before we are also told we have same laws as CARB.

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Didn't learn you lesson the first time...?

They are better , but take a look around any dealers shop and the floor is full of emissions problems ....

Cummins is probably the best choice.....

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  8. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I am more confident because of watching a ton of Rawze's videos on what to look for and how to maintain it. I like cummins because everyone says they pull great, engine brake is great, are for the most part a great engine. Also not interested in the MX engine. I like knowing the likely problems will be specific sensors, turbo good for about 400-500k miles, 7th injector, EGR cooler good for 200-250k miles (also egr valve), that's about it. I'd much rather that than play a guessing game as to what the problem is like I did the first time around ...

I have the most faith in a Volvo to be honest. But I have a few too many ounces of self respect to be caught driving that.

9. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Another issue for Canucks is September most provinces make a picture of emissions a part of the annual safety.. I know a lot of guys getting safety done in October and selling truck next year due to deletes

10. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Hopefully you have better luck than I do. I upgraded 10 months ago. Truck had 100k on Inframe,first week egr valve stuck open,three weeks later egr cooler cracked. Doing another inframe now,not sure if it's a parts failure or human error that caused the failure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.