Jake brake issues

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Jeremy Pasternak, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Jeremy Pasternak

Jeremy Pasternak Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Hi I have a 1998 International 9400 with a Detroit 60 series in it. Every time I turn the jake brake switch on and hit the gas pedal the check engine light comes on and the electronic controls says alert aux output short gnd. It sounds like its hitting only on 2 cylinders. and it only works on the 1 and 3 jake selector nothing happens on 2. Can anyone tell me what to start to look for or do thanks Jeremy

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    Don't know about your specific problem, but I took over an older Pete with a big Mech Cat and a Jake. Former driver told me Jake didn't work when you turned the steering wheel to left, other than that he said it was "fine", he just drove it like that, never put a repair tag on it, 80k all day in the hills. Well it wasn't feeling "fine" to me. Shop mechanic couldn't fix it, or much else. Cat Factory tech was in the shop one night, long story short - wire to Jake was junk and too short, when you made a left turn it pulled against housing and grounded out from the movement of the engine. About 8' of new wire later, all was OK, first time jake worked in 2 years! No matter if you turned left or right. Cost of wire - less than a quarter, with change left over. Hopefully your fix proves to be an easy one.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Check the wiring harness from the ECM and follow it up around the starter to the back of the head as best as possible. Sounds like it is rubbed through somewhere.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I can't say for sure this is the problem but my dad had a '97 Autocar with the Series 60 and the jake solenoids would crap out on it every year or so.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.