Jb Hunt oreintation Chicago

Discussion in 'JB Hunt' started by GottabeGood37, Jan 22, 2015.

1. GottabeGood37

GottabeGood37 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Il
    So I've decided to jump on board with JB Hunt local home daily Meijer acct out of pleasant prairie , Wi.
    I have Orientation in Chicago Road test , etc .. Ive been in the industry long enuff to know not everything can be what it seems and as good as it sounded my curiosity peeking !
    Can anyone shed some light on this , Good or Bad - What to expect ? Just a little heads up !
    Another thing I've looked on the Internet for a terminal in Peasant Prairie Wi, And I didn't see one ?
    this road test as well , Were about do they take you , its been years since I've been in Chicago ! Thanks y'all !

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TNMT

TNMT Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Front of keyboard
    Did in in Dallas. Just out, turn right, a left, a left, left, a right. Back at Terminal. 45 park into a trailer spot. That was it.

4. TNMT

TNMT Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Front of keyboard
    Joined the Dallas one. Dedicated. They promised 2 days off a week, 40,000 a year. For three years they meet that promise. Only left cause they lost that account.

5. BooshWhacker

BooshWhacker Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Straight line backing, offset backing, Blind side parallel, and 90 degree backing bumper in the box. OTR 15 degree hill, left turn with oncoming traffic coming around a blind curve at 40mph (youhope) under overpass to freeway, check outage before going under 16' 1 " freeway due to light on other side, Railroad crossing test, to almost a 90 degree right turn onto public street. Emergency stop right after fire station sign. Proceed back into traffic to another tight right turn with a island on your left. Uphill dodge the tree hanging out over the street, back to the right lane in lunch hour traffic. Another right turn onto a left curving uphill freeway ramp with guardrail and merging traffic in left lane. Onto Freeway (wipe sweat out of eyes), slow down to access ramp to stop at first overpass with a short hill blind stop, (is it red? Is it green, whats on the other side?) tight left turn under overpass, back to blind curve on hill. Turn right into merging left lane, uphill, back down 15 degree opposite side past evil rattlesnake monument, back uphill to stop sign. Tight left turn with gate post on driverside thats leaning from being clipped by trailers. Hard right turn to a hard left turn line up with straight line backing box. All the time shifting a 13 speed all the way up and down the gears and a tester asking you in lunch hour traffic, "Whats that sign say?" The 130 point preinspection seems almost casual afterward.

My NM state drivers test.

Ebola Guy Thanks this.
  6. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    If they still do the Smith System training, that will be in a mini van. Otherwise the road test is EXACTALLY like every other road test you've ever taken in your career as a truck driving truck driver.

You will go to this crappy hotel just down the road in South Chicago, not far from Midway Airport. You will sit in this room with tables lined with computers. You will one by one meet with people to verify EVERYTHING on your application---because they have not done that themselves yet, and you are not hired until EVERY "I" has been dotted, and EVERY "t" has been crossed. Any and ALL gaps in employment must be verified, and re-verified...and if your dates of employment don't match what your previous employers are reporting...you WILL be accounting for the gaps.

You will then have free lunch in their cafeteria (excellent food when I was there YEARS ago). Then it is off to the little Doctors office (on site) for Physical and Drug Screen---back then one in ten did hair follicle, the rest pee in a cup (luck of the draw I guess). I was handed a cup. Back in for more paper work, and finish doing their jobs for them.

Back to the hotel. Lock the door and put a chair under the knob, and listen to screams and gun shots, and planes taking off and landing.

Next day, finish doing their jobs for them...and road test, yadda, yadda, yadda.

It is orientation for a big company....same old, same old.

BooshWhacker Thanks this.
  7. GottabeGood37

Jul 27, 2012
    Il
    Ha ! well if that's all , I hope the instructor buys the first round ! Thanks

8. GottabeGood37

Jul 27, 2012
    Il
    Yep that's exactly what I was thinking same business different color trucks , I'm delivering to Meijer in Chicago , Ind and so on ... any Idea how many stops on the average ? I'm used to Making deliverys make your pick ups drop trailer at terminal and go back out whatever the morning dispatch " forgot" to tell the night dispatcher, im wondering since Im local is it similar ? I see a lot of drivers saying they work 12-14 hrs a day and wondering how this works ?

9. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    There is a small satellite yard up in Franksville but you'll probably park your truck at the Meijer DC in Pleasant Prairie. Do you know if that is the old SuperValue DC off Green Bay Rd?

10. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    If it is like most other grocery stores, I'd picture drop loaded and grab empty. Do big stores like that actually order Less Than Load from distribution centers?

11. GottabeGood37

Jul 27, 2012
    Il
    I'm not sure I know very little than what recruitment has told me and that wasn't much, I guess they should tell me at orientation... I hope

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.