Jb Hunt oreintation Chicago

Discussion in 'JB Hunt' started by GottabeGood37, Jan 22, 2015.

1. GottabeGood37

GottabeGood37 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Il
    Yea I was told at times there is half loads, multiple stops at times, but When your done though, Do you just go back to your home terminal and your day is done ? I'm thinking in Chicago the Meijer stores really aren't that far from each other.. Possible a lot of short days ( low miles ? )

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BooshWhacker

BooshWhacker Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2014
    LoL. I wish it was the Instructor giving the test. New Mexico uses State Appointed testers that have to show up at 6:45 AM in the morning. Which doesn't improve their attitude.

4. GottabeGood37

Jul 27, 2012
    Il
    Well The phone calls are coming in , My Manager called to introduce himself seems very helpful able to answer a lot of questions I had , Caught me off guard never had that happen ... So far it sounds good , I also found out there running new day cab freightliners for this account and according to what I'm being told I should be getting one ,
    Now here's todays question :
    I've been running Mack , freightliners , sterling 300,000 miles or better which to me was new .. Has anyone had exp. driving these " new " freightliners ? ( less than 20,000 miles ) Handleing , shifting etc ?

5. GottabeGood37

Jul 27, 2012
    Il
    Took a ride out there it looks as all trucks are parked up there and fueled as well , Big location !

6. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    For a new truck compared to an old one, the transmission will be tight. And there will be no stains, scratches, holes, so it's all on you how that truck looks. Can't blame the "other guy".

ewill71 Thanks this.
  7. GottabeGood37

Jul 27, 2012
    Il
    Alright so heres an update on all the exacts and what to expect when you attend . First you 'll show up go the computer room and enter all info and etc.. afterwards you'll go back and start the long paperwork process and photo copying. This is were you decide if you want either a sandwich or salad for lunch from Jimmy Johns . Now its movie time typical safety movies we've probably all seen followed by a few JB hunt welcome videos.
    Now your broken up into groups , One group will go for the Urine test and hair sample and physical the other group will go for the driving test ( This is the one you want 1st ) Unfortunately, I had to use the bathroom and was nominated to with a group of about 9 for the urine test, So we head across to parking lot to a small room the size of tight hallway at the end of which is a curtain and one door , curtain is hair door is urine, this process takes a good 1.5 hr.
    Now off to the physical outside to another trailer inside is a row of chairs and all the guys from the road test waiting, this is the longest process, a good 4 hrs of sitting , make sure your phone has a good battery..
    after you pass your physical and other tests its lunch time... decent.. you'll eat it.. after sitting in a room that long anything will taste good !
    Now its your turn for the driving test....
    Me personally am used to city P&D daycab .. Your test you'll be in a 53' van sleeper 10speed. You'll have to go down a couple Chicago side streets , its do able just looks intimidating do to what what I was a custom too.
    If you pass , One more movie and your 1st day is over . 2 more days and your done with orientation.
    all in all a good positive experience typical movies, test , You'll come to find there will be a lot of other drivers with the same position as you so theres plenty of people to speak too, plus theres always a small group who will down there previous company all day long.. Hope this helps anyone entering orientation

ewill71 Thanks this.
  8. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    I'm curious, how big was the orientation group on Monday when compared to the group on Thursday? I know that a few guys just mysteriously disappear for whatever reason.

9. GottabeGood37

Jul 27, 2012
    Il
    I had thought the same thing , When I went in there was at least 25 but towards the middle of the day there must have been 15 . I seen a couple get up and just leave , must not have liked what they heard I guess ....

10. DavidBrownTrucking

DavidBrownTrucking Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2007
    St. Louis
    When I was up there I had a large group at first then it thinned out as the days go by. Most because of medications, health, or didn't study for the "whiz quiz". hahaha

11. DavidBrownTrucking

DavidBrownTrucking Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2007
    St. Louis
    By the way I have been with JB local intermodal for 3.5 years and don't plan on going anywhere. I will say the pay could be a couple bucks higher but I love the security knowing the company is going to be around. I also work with only 20 some guys so things are easy going. If I need a day off its easy to work it out. Also I don't even think about "big brother JB" watching over me. I do my job, drive safe, I'm polite to all our customers no matter what may happen and keep a clean truck. You do most of that and you will never hear a peep out of corporate till they wanna give you an award. I even got to talk on the phone one morning not long ago to COO Craig Harper. Unlike other companies, J.B. Hunt's higher ups are within reason are a phone call or email away. So yes I like it here.

Ebola Guy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.