JB Hunt - Power Only program

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Hanadarko, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Crazy D

Crazy D Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Homewood,IL
    just became insured with progressive. My agent says there is no charge to send out certificates.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

The only thing that a broker or shipper really should need is to know that you have current insurance in the minimum acceptable coverage.

SHC Thanks this.
  4. Fortis140

Fortis140 Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2011
    And they pay by shortest distance, not practical miles.

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

Not all pay shortest distance or hhg. I know one broker that has three different ways that they figure miles and pay the truck. Before taking a load I always run the miles myself. It is up to you to protect yourself.

6. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I found it easiest to get the starting address and ending address and look it up in Google Maps. Then take the miles and multiply it by whatever FSC you feel is just and then by the pay you want for the load. That way you can tell the broker "I can do that run for $XXXX.XX all in" and they can take-it or leave it. they usually say they will call the customer and see if they can get the rate up to meet that quote, but all they are usually doing is the same thing you did and seeing how much of their profit they are losing from YOUR load. Just give them 30 minutes to call back or you will move on to another load you are looking at. It worked for me, and I would do this with 3 different loads per say, and whomever got back 1st with the rate closest to mine, i took. Just be sure to call the ohers back and tell them you got another load lined up. Always be kind and polite cuz they will remember that too

7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I don't worry about the fsc. I have a rate that I need and if I can get that rate or better then I take the load. If not, I pass. The fsc is just part of the rate as far as I am concerned. I know what it costs to operate my truck and won't haul for less than my operating costs plus some profit. I understand some drivers want to make sure they get 100% of the fsc. It is nothing but a shell game. If the rate is $1.50 and the fsc is $0.50/mile then you get $2/mile. If the total rate is $2/mile then the money is the same. It is only how the rate is perceived.

Gears, BigBadBill and scottied67 Thank this.
  8. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    That's what i was getting at.

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I like using mapquest when checking rates and also trip planning. You can click and drag to modify the route and shave miles. Been able to add anywhere from $.06 to $.12 a mile on the bottom line per trip basis on most loads. You have to be willing to not run the fastest route and also have the extreme patience to super-anticipate red lites on the route. To me it's worth it.

BigBadBill Thanks this.
  10. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Mapquest comes as close as anything else in calculating exact miles. It isn't uncommon for me to run the miles while I am talking to the broker or shipper about a load.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    gotta be careful with them shorter miles planning though.

some of the trips we have can really add some time to the trip by driving a few miles less.

albuquerque to denver has a nice scenic route that is 30 miles shorter then taking the 25. but adds 2 1/2 hours.

missoula to boise is a 450 mile trip. 400 of which are all mountains. 14 hours. there are 3 different routes that can be taken, but if you take the 4th route. it's all freeway. adds 150 miles but shaves 4 hours.

bamanation, G/MAN and Nolelover61 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.