JB HUNT

Discussion in 'JB Hunt' started by 88m1973, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Spring Chicken

Spring Chicken Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Lakeland, FL
    Can't be any worse than the 33 cents a mile 1800 miles a week I'm getting with my current company running OTR

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. josh10jet

josh10jet Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Appleton,WI
    It pays starting at .40 mi depending on exp avg 2600 mi wk or so I have been told. But that is running out of Chicago I think other areas pay different

4. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    I've been doing intermodal for 7 years and I like it. I won't sugarcoat it, it is high paced compared to regular OTR. I average 2200 - 2400 paid miles in five days. Some weeks better, some worse.

On average your loads are less than 250 mi (you should do about 2 loads a day, ideally, and start the next one) and you will hit Chicago a few times a week. That's because there are 10 or so railyards in and around Chicago, though you will go to 2 or 3 main ones more often than the rest. Once in a blue moon, you will pick up in Chicago but that is very rare. In the last year, I picked up at a customer in Chicago twice and both times it was the same customer. Getting in and out of the rails is easy and by and large you don't have to worry about low bridges, unless you make a wrong turn.

Most of your loads are drop n hooks but if you get a live load and it might be a while, call dispatch and they'll try to get you something else. They don't want you sitting. Sometimes you will get a customer to customer load; both pick up and delivery, as opposed to rail loads which are only delivery or pick up. But those are not too common. And very, very rare do they not have a load. I did sit for a day but that was over 4th of July last year but nobody was shipping over the five day wknd, so it was more the exception than the rule.

Dispatch, they are easy to work with. As with most large companies, Safety trumps everything. Don't feel safe doing something? Tell them, they'll work with you on getting that load reset. Granted there are those days when dispatch seems like they cotton between their ears, but that is pretty much every company. It really depends on your attitude and relationship with them.

I'm not sure where the pay starts, we just had an across the board raise of 0.02 back in February, I think it is 40 cents.

Since you live in or near Appleton, there is a chance you can swing by the house. Even though I live in Manitowoc, I don't stop by he house too often. 1. It seems most of my pick ups are in the Fox valley, and 2. Too inconvenient time wise for me.

I hope this gave you a little more insight.

tldepo Thanks this.
  5. dgarricksr

dgarricksr Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2011
    poughkeepsie, ny
    I'm a otr driver and i'm only in the rail yards on the weekends. equipment is good. Pulling rail load now headed for Chicago. No complaints except truck size from me. Dispatch and everything else is pretty easy to deal with.

6. 2boys2dogs

2boys2dogs Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2014
    I will be starting with JB Hunt hauling intermodals soon. I live in central Minesota, has anyone heard anything about working in this area?

7. mykeys88

mykeys88 Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2013
    ewill71. Can you give me some info on the JC Penny account. Is the work [ unloading ] heavy.? Looking to go to work for jb in a couple of weeks. not lazy. Just getting older.

8. ewill71

ewill71 Heavy Load Member

Oct 3, 2011
    mcgregor tx
    I don't know anything about JCP... But I believe its drop and hook. I wish I could answer better.

9. mykeys88

mykeys88 Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Thanks anyway.

ewill71 Thanks this.
  10. juandlg15

juandlg15 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2012
    El Paso, TX
    88m1973 are you still with jb hunt out of haslet? If so, how do you like it. What is average pay? I'm looking to relocate to ft worth soon and really looking at jb intermodal.

11. Skoodah1

Skoodah1 Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Have a question I just got offered a job at Jb hunt OTR I live in Louisiana and said I would run east of I 35. Is there ever exceptions
    Like if u wanna take a run out west I was really hoping I would get to see Cali and Oregon

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.