Jevic Transportation Closing The Doors

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Jvc107, May 17, 2008.

1. elharrison

elharrison "Iam on my way"

Feb 8, 2007
    WV
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    You're right. This is only the beginning.

But part of this, lands squarely on their own shoulders.

You can't run trucks like they did. And not lose money with fuel this high.

But, this marks the beginning of a "good" time for the owner ops who have managed to hang on. If they can hang on for another 6 months.

We're going through a cleaning process. Last man standing...sets the rates. And since there will not be enough trucks to pull that freight. It will be the land of milk and honey.

For those that remain.

4. LuckyLady7

LuckyLady7 <strong>Good Luck Charm</strong>

Nov 8, 2007
    South Carolina
    I heard from a o/o friend today that Jevic has closed their doors and laid off about 3200 peeps.....does anyone know or heard this today?

5. elharrison

elharrison "Iam on my way"

Feb 8, 2007
    WV
  6. gearjammer-2000

gearjammer-2000 <strong>Clutch User</strong>

Dec 18, 2007
    columbus Ohio
    well i can agree with at least part of that, the hard part to agree with is the being able to set the rates, we went thru this in 2000 and rates didn't recover as they should have there were many reasons for this but then as now I look for rates to remain very soft for at least the next two years

7. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I think the way they decided to do this was at best poorly executed and another stunning example of how little companies care about the drivers. Even Jevic, whom had a fairly good standing reputation.

You cannot tell me they had no idea this was coming and couldn't have given more notice and tried to route drivers home.

8. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I think, and I could be wrong, this dip is going to cut deeper than the 2000 dip.

With the slow freight, the larger companies are not putting on new trucks. Nor are they increasing trailer pools. The economy will rebound. And when it does, it will be a feeding frenzy for trucking companies.

Just like the new HOS had a positive effect on the industry. So will this down turn, fuel prices and all.

The Owner Ops that still have their trucks will have a seat at the table this time though.

Feast or famine, rule of the road for trucking. As always.

9. LuckyLady7

LuckyLady7 <strong>Good Luck Charm</strong>

Nov 8, 2007
    South Carolina
    I can only tell you what was told to me today...this being an o/o...he told me that JEVIC were closing up because they were going in the hole...they sent all drivers home and told them they would not be opening back up...They JEVIC WILL BE CLOSED PERMANANTLY......I still can't believe it...but at this point I can see why..

10. caraldo

caraldo Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2008
    northern,mi
    Yep. Posted on their company website even.

11. whydontchahey

whydontchahey Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Ohio
    I don't think the economy will rebound. I think that there is something bigger going on here. These fuel prices seem to have no ceiling. For NAFTA(North America's Freedom Traded Away) to work,they have to crush our middle class so the people south of the border have no reason to come up here. They need our dollar to crash so Mexico,Canada and the US are forced to have a mutual currency. THE AMERO.:biggrin_2553:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.