Jim Palmer. Interested driver wants the inside scoop!

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Phantaztix, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Phantaztix

Phantaztix Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I know Jim is now a WilTrans company, and pulls Prime trailers and has super-single rears. I also watch Allie Knight's videos, so I know they seem like a pretty cool company. (In case any Jim execs are reading this, Allie puts a really good light on your company. Let her keep doing what she does).

What's the REAL pay scale?
    What is the equipment really like? APU policy, governed to..., HP ratings, etc?
    How are they on miles for the average?
    Do they have regional, or only 48, or?
    Would you recommend or not? And WHY?

Thanks to any responses I get. I love reefer and like what I can find so far about Jim Palmer, but I haven't had the chance to talk to any actual drivers for them. And the threads about them here are a bit old.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BackIsSore

BackIsSore Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    USA
    I can't tell the difference between Allie Knight or a cat clawing a chalkboard!

4. sliver

sliver Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2015
    idaho
    Goooood morninggggggg internet!!!!!!!!

BackIsSore Thanks this.
  5. BackIsSore

Oct 18, 2008
    USA
    UGH!! Then she has to repeat it 5 more times!

Typical Annie Knight video is 15 minutes of a run-on sentence babbling like this: So I'm like driving OH there's a bug I hope I dont hit the bug but then I had a pickle yesterday but today is just great I wonder what tires are made of is rubber for tires is tires for rubber my cat has a flea.........

rossi46, Bossman027, str8t10 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Phantaztix

Phantaztix Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks guys. You have been SUCH a help. Good on ya for answering my questions!

marnium, Dharok, Lone Gunman and 5 others Thank this.
  7. BackIsSore

Oct 18, 2008
    USA
    Honestly, I think you could do much better if you have some experience and you probably could forget about seeing home that much living in SD!

8. Big Papaxx

Big Papaxx Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Chicago, Los Angeles
    First answer they run the exact same trucks as Prime since they were bought by Wil-Trans and wil trans and Prime have an advanced fleet partnership which means wil Trans/ Jim Palmer get all of there Trucks from Prime Leasing. That is why Wil Trans and now Jim Palmer pull not only Prime Trailers but Prime loads. Whatever that partnership with prime is Wil Trans/ Jim Palmer is not owned by Prime and operates under the founder of Wil Trans Darrel Wilson who is the CEO of wil Trans. So depending on what your feelings are towards Prime will and should give you your answer on Jim Palmer. My personal opinion is I would not ever drive for Prime or any of the Mega carriers. But if I was 100% sure that Wil Trans / Jim Palmer was independently operated and owned then I would not have a problem driving for them.. They pay I believe .38 cpm Jim Palmer runs from ohio west and Wil Trans runs from Kansas East.. So with Jim Palmer you will not see any NYC or Canada ( at least that is what they say) They do have more avg miles for solo drivers at Jim Palmer than at wil Trans but i do not know what that average is for either.. Also they only run reefers so no other choices.. Hope this helps and Good luck.

tscottme and Phantaztix Thank this.
  9. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    They use 10-speeds only. No autos. Training is 7 weeks OTR. Not sure what benefits they offer. They pay pretty decent during training. If you're a student CDL grad they will have you commit to a 1 year contract after training or you pay back the cost of training if you decide to go somewhere else after 6 months.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    BigSky and Phantaztix Thank this.
  10. Sapper1313

Sapper1313 Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Do you get to take your truck home at Jim Palmer? Also does anyone have any recent info on them? Im interested in doing their student training.

11. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    I believe they find a secure place for you to park the truck. What they told me. Only info I can direct you too is Allie Knight on youtube. She drives for them. It's mostly reefer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.