Jim Palmer trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sparky1980, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Sparky1980

Sparky1980 Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Does anyone here have anything to say about Jim Palmer trucking and their training program in Missoula Montana.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    ;)@chinatown will be here soon to give you some knowledge

4. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    All I know is the recruiters were nice. They are contracted by Prime and owned by Wil-Trans. 10-speed trucks. APUs. Eventually a fridge. Need to complete 40,000 miles with trainer to go on to solo.

5. cardinals1970

cardinals1970 Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2013
    New Albany, IN
    Their training program is modeled after Primes training program. As stated above Jim Palmer is owned by Wil-Trans which was started by former Prime drivers.

6. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    They're definitely not the outfit they were when Jim Palmer still owned it but, that's all I can tell you.

carramrod32 Thanks this.
  7. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    I contacted them recently, and their recruiter tried so hard, so long, to sell me on a "walk-away lease" that I lost interest. If they're selling drivers leases, I'm outta there no matter what. I mean, the lease is so lopsided, leaning toward the company profit, and I'm into driver/owner profit. Not a fit, I guess, although the recruiter made it sound awfully enticing as follows: "We don't dispatch by miles or percentages, we dispatch so every driver earns $4,500 - $5,000/week." It does sound good, doesn't it? I'm pretty sure it's a percentage based compensation, though.

8. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Jim Palmer really? Guess I didn't advance to the "buy a lease" phase of the telephone call. lol

RedRover Thanks this.
  9. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Lightside, I already own a truck, and maybe I started out with some of that, I don't remember. I sure don't want to be unreasonable about JP, I know very little about them directly, but I did have that recruiter spewing the lease program, couldn't get her past it. "But you can walk away..." Probably been reading too many lease option threads at TTR. :)

10. RMU91

RMU91 Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Jim Palmer Trucking is on my short list, but I don't know enough about the company to decide one way or the other.

Aside from the historical financial issues Jim Palmer experienced, what are the pros and the cons of the company now, for a person who wants to be a company driver?

11. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I know nothing about them beyond what I pick up watching a youtuber (Allie Knight) that drives for them. There isn't much info given out on the company itself in her videos, but you can still get an idea. She got a brand new Peterbilt with APU and a fridge. Whether that was because she came there as an experienced driver or because of her youtube profile, I have no clue.

The fact she (and another experienced driver/friend) chose to go there despite having experience does suggest the company does have something good to offer. What that is beyond the new equipment and the 48 state running, I couldn't say.

I didn't think they had a training program, or I should say it wasn't mentioned on their website last time I looked.

gdyupgal and RMU91 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.