Jump the Jeep

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Oxbow, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I am wondering about adding a short jeep such as @nate980 uses. Most around here add single axle boosters to cut down on permitting cost and/or add to the total weight that one can haul. I am thinking that the inner bridge laws here make the small jeep less advantageous. I will need to look into that, but my question is; I have heard mention of "jumping the jeep" and am curious as to how that works. My assumption is that with the neck lowered there is a way to pin or chain the jeep up for traveling empty or possibly to make backing easier. Can anyone answer how that works?

Thanks

SAR Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    Basically lower your air, slide the fifth wheel until the jeep hits the lowbed ramps, deflate the air in the jeep and the lift bag will lift up the axle and air back up and it will be off the ground. If any of that makes sense. You chain them up too but I never monkey around with it. You need ramps like these.

[​IMG]

4. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    Here's the only picture I could find with my jeep jumped

[​IMG]

rank, blacklabel, Cat sdp and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Ah, I understand now - Thanks Nate!

SAR and nate980 Thank this.
  6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Thanks. I have a hydraulic neck, but I would think that everything would work as long as the hoses are long enough to reach the neck. I do have ramps though, so the jumping part would work as well.

SAR Thanks this.
  7. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

Be sure you buy an actual jump jeep and not just a jodog. A jump jeep will have rollers or guides to catch the ramps. If you just have a jodog and a hydraulic neck you can set the neck down and chain the jeep to it then pick the jeep up basically it's the same difference.

rank, PeteyFixAll, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.