Just an observation .

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by bzinger, Sep 25, 2016.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Saw an article in the Omaha paper a while back where Union Pacific is based saying rail freight is slow and lots of people layed off .
    Friday I delivered delivered to Missouri valley ia where up has a yard and I didn't count em but must a hundred locomotives parked there with weeds growing around em .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I've been monitoring the CASS Freight Index most of the year. It seems every month it shows "last month was down 5% from same month last year, and down 1% from last month." The industry publications are saying business inventories are already above average, so there's less need to get more inventory.

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Yep and new fleet order cancellations are at all time highs since 07 too.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Just a year ago, maybe a little more, I read an article stating that demand for rail transportation was so high that the locomotive builders couldn't pop them out of the factory fast enough.

6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    This doesn't sound good at all.

bzinger Thanks this.
  7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Presidential election years are always slower but I also think that folks that can afford to buy are holding on to their money to see if they are going to need the reserves. Obama care is taking all the discretionary funds from these people. The 40 somethings and up are starting to realize they will have nothing for retirement also.

Puppage, bzinger, Ooops and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. rocknroll81

rocknroll81 Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2010
    West Allis Wi.
    About a week ago I was going north on 294 and those huge rail yards just south of 55 looked real thin, was really surprised.

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Doesn't keep people from paying $500 for seats that aren't even that great to go see a football game.
    Let alone the college folks, that travel to see their alma mater's play, air fare, car, hotel, food, several hundred to blow at the game.
    I remember Dana Perino on FOX commented once about $200 to $250 for lunch, and was kinda shushed by the others, as she hinted that's what everyone drops on lunch.
    We are poor gentlemen. Even if you crack $100K a year, that's not much in todays world in the grand scheme of things.
    We will make ends meet in any condition I believe though, just cause we are salt of the earth kind of guys.
    There are numerous articles that state park the truck for 5 days, watch the country descend into chaos.
    5 days.
    Look in the mirror for resolution gentlemen.
    Why do people think one person at the top is going to fix 260 million people?
    That's why the preamble of the Constitution starts out ' We the people....'
    We the people are the problem. We the people can fix it pretty easy too. Trouble is we the people are a bunch of #######. <---This word starts with 'P'.

10. Rusty Trawler

Rusty Trawler Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2016
    New truck sales decreased 39.8% in july from the same month last year.
    The 7 month YTD is the worst since 07.
    Also, there were 3.5 million truck drivers in 06, it dropped to 3.0 mil in 2010, and is now back to 3.5.
    I'm thinking a downward adjustment is happening again.
    Or at least a leveling off
    In manufacturing and transportation.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.